Toilet Flange Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

CBGrismer

Reaction score
I have a 3" ABS pipe that is already plumbed in for my toilet (sticking out of a concrete floor). The problem is, there is an elbow about 1 1/4" below the finished floor preventing me from installing the flange flush with the floor because the flange lip is about 1 3/4" deep. Would I be better off to cut 1/2" off the flange lip leaving less glue surface or I have also seen flanges that slip inside a 3" pipe but I don't know if these are ok.

I appreciate any opinion you may have.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do not use a flange that slips into a 3" pipe. This will reduce the size of the drain below minimums. It would be OK on a 4" pipe, but not the 3". I'm not a pro, so don't take this as an OK, but I think you would be OK to cut 1/2" off the flange. Remember, the flange rests on top of the finished floor, not the subfloor.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
or you could use a marble slab to set the toilet on raising the "finished" floor under the toilet by 1/2". I have this setup in a powder room with a hardwood floor.

King3244

Reaction score
The depth of the flange is 1 1/2 inches so you are close. Cut off 1/4 to 1/2 inch , use lots of glue.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of cutting portions of a hub off. The more gluing surface you have, the less likely of a leak. 1/4" probably wouldnt be a big deal though. However, if it were my house, I'd set the toilet on a 1/2" marble slab and be done with it.

Good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks