Toilet Flange MAJOR Issue - HELP!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

chicagopete713

Reaction score
DIY'er here...(I should be a DDIY'er = Don't Do It Yoursefl)

Anyway, I just retiled my bathroom floor from 1997. Original floor had ceramic tile set directly on plywood. PVC toilet flange was screwed into plywood. I put a new layer of cement board over the plywood, screwed it in and then set the 12 x 24" tile on the cement board (after using mortar, of course).

Problem is, I cut the hole in the cement board AND the tile around the PVC flange, not knowing I was supposed to cut the opening for the drain hole.

Also, to compound things, the floor is 1 1/2" inches above the original flange. See pictures.

Am I screwed here? Do I need to relay cement board AND tile?? (please say no).

Attachments

• IMG_0632.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0632.JPG.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 51361520612__93E1B9CB-969A-4102-BD82-909934D0F3F1.JPG.jpeg
    51361520612__93E1B9CB-969A-4102-BD82-909934D0F3F1.JPG.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 324

Reach4

Reaction score
This looks like a good application for the Danco HydroSeat. You might need two wax rings under and one (or a waxless) over.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make repair flanges with a long tube and a rubber seal that will extend down to what you have. They are fairly long, and I just cut them down to size to fit what I have.

flange-too-deep.jpg

What I found.

flange-too-deep2.jpg

What I installed.

neorest-install-03.jpg

chicagopete713

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I've literally lost sleep over this after working on this bathroom for 30+ hours. Gonna hire a professional to set the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks