Toilet Flange installation

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by FlynHokie, Jun 24, 2009.

1. FlynHokie

FlynHokie New Member

I am getting ready to install the toilet flange, and I want to make sure it is oriented correctly.

How should the two slotted holes that connect the bolts to the toilet be oriented relative to the wall? Should the center of both those holes be equidistant to the wall, the end of the holes, or the beginning of the holes?

Thanks much!

FlynHokie.
  2. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

As long as the smaller sections of the keyways are place at the rough-in from the wall, it makes no difference. If the bolts are keyed in place and will stay that way, it makes no difference if they are at the beginning or end of the slot. Adjust as you see fit.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I like to turn the flange so that the bolts go completely to the far end of the slots. Then I use an extra nut on the bolts to hold them tight and perpendicular to the flange. This makes for an easier time setting the toilets. I suppose it isn't absolutely critical that the bolts go that far in the slot, but I do want the bolt heads away from the key area to make sure they don' pull out.
  4. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Some plumbers, I've been told, avoid using the long slots and instead use the other keyed openings which are just wide enough for the bolt and are open on the outside of the flange.