Toilet Flange Install Question

Users who are viewing this thread

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone.

I roughed in an capped a 3" line for my toilet. I recently had the room tiled and it is not level. I am installing the flange this weekend and I have a few questions.

Do I install the flange level or even with the tile.

How to I cut the pipe low enough to install the flange. I should of done this before they tiled, unfortunately I did not think about it. Any Special tool to assist with this?

Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
The normal flange position is atop the tile. Your case may have a problem with that.

How much not level?

I suggest you post a photo of what you are facing. I would remove the rag stuffed in the hole for your photo.

800 pixels and 200KB or less if you upload here. Otherwise provide a link.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

It is not terrible off level.

Right now the pipe sticks out of the floor about 8". I recently broke out the tile that was to close to the pipe, so the flange could fit over the pipe. However it is going to be tough to cut the pipe low enough to allow the flange to sit on the tile. I was thinking about trying to cut the pipe from the inside.

I will snap a picture tomorrow.

MKS

Reaction score
If the pipe is PVC they make internal PVC pipe saws that are driven by a drill.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have clearance, you could put a compression flange on the outside. If you have 3 inch PVC, the Oatey 42253 165 Cast Iron Flange could be used. I have not seen this flange discussed.

A glue-on outside is more common. With a glue-on, I would suggest a stainless steel ring model as being more durable than an all-plastic flange. A 4x3 flange is one that is made to glue outside of a 3 inch pipe or inside of a 4 inch pipe. I don't know how low the PVC pipe needs to be cut for that.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
I want to use the glue on one that goes on the outside of the pipe. I think the pipe has be slightly below the finished floor for it to work. I think the best thing is to cut the pipe from the inside. My pipe currently sticks far enough out that I can do a practice cut first.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another alternative would be to cut the pipe flush, and to rasp the pipe top to provide any needed clearance.

You would think the makers would provide instructions to say how much the pipe must be recessed, if needed.

Last edited:

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Thanks. So what do as far as the position of the flange? Even with the floor or level it out with plastic shims?

Reach4

Reaction score
The toilet will not contact the flange normally. So yes, use shims to prevent rocking for sure. You can also use shims to level the toilet, but most don't do that.

Rather than plastic shims sold for the toilet purpose, there can be better choices.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toilet-shims.17919/#post-117761
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/shimming-a-toilet-best-way.3592/#post-16799

If you use wax, note that you don't want to expand the wax seal after compressing it. To me that means you don't want to insert the shims after the wax has been compressed. You can place the shims and withdraw shims however. Withdrawing a shim partially will compress the wax, not expand it. A waxless alternative has an advantage for those who may not get things right the first time. They are resilient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks