Toilet Flange Help Needed

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by verland, Mar 16, 2012.

1. verland

verland New Member

Hello, I ran into something with a toilet flange I really need help with. The wax seal apparently had breached so I pulled the toilet. The flange is recessed and isn't cleaning up too well. Appears to have concrete on it which I can only guess may be from the quickset concrete used on the tile. Not knowing for sure if what I'm looking at is a pipe flange permanently welded on the end of a pipe OR a leaded on flange, I'm nervous about chiseling the concrete away and am thinking about other options. I have a flange extension (see pic) that I'd thought about trying to use. One side has a black neoprene gasket on it and I'm assuming that's face down on the original flange with a wax ring and then the toilet. The other option is trying to just use a thick, reinforced was ring w/flange and hope for the best. Tile is on concrete. Any suggestions are appreciated. TIA

031712a.jpg 031712b.jpg 031712c.jpg
  2. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

Clean it up,dry it and remove the rag. Snap another pic.

If the original installer used a 4" over the pipe flange you may can just leave the existing flange in place......solvent weld a new flange inside the 4" pipe at the proper level. The bottom of the flange should be sitting even with the top of the finished floor. Then just fill in the space with some hydraulic fast setting cement. Let it cure for a while and then anchor the flange to the concrete.

Hopefully thats 4" pipe the flange is connected to...it would make the repair much easier.

I do not use extension flanges or spanner flanges.....IMO its a handyman way to make the repair and not very professional. Its a "get me by" or "get me out of here" type repair.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would clean that up, and double wax ring it.
    When you finally get a good look at it, it may be an intact flange anyway. At that level below the floor, it needed two wax rings to sea.

I would not use the plastic spacers.