Toilet Flange Help Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

verland

Reaction score
Hello, I ran into something with a toilet flange I really need help with. The wax seal apparently had breached so I pulled the toilet. The flange is recessed and isn't cleaning up too well. Appears to have concrete on it which I can only guess may be from the quickset concrete used on the tile. Not knowing for sure if what I'm looking at is a pipe flange permanently welded on the end of a pipe OR a leaded on flange, I'm nervous about chiseling the concrete away and am thinking about other options. I have a flange extension (see pic) that I'd thought about trying to use. One side has a black neoprene gasket on it and I'm assuming that's face down on the original flange with a wax ring and then the toilet. The other option is trying to just use a thick, reinforced was ring w/flange and hope for the best. Tile is on concrete. Any suggestions are appreciated. TIA

031712a.jpg031712b.jpg031712c.jpg

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Clean it up,dry it and remove the rag. Snap another pic.

If the original installer used a 4" over the pipe flange you may can just leave the existing flange in place......solvent weld a new flange inside the 4" pipe at the proper level. The bottom of the flange should be sitting even with the top of the finished floor. Then just fill in the space with some hydraulic fast setting cement. Let it cure for a while and then anchor the flange to the concrete.

Hopefully thats 4" pipe the flange is connected to...it would make the repair much easier.

I do not use extension flanges or spanner flanges.....IMO its a handyman way to make the repair and not very professional. Its a "get me by" or "get me out of here" type repair.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would clean that up, and double wax ring it.
When you finally get a good look at it, it may be an intact flange anyway. At that level below the floor, it needed two wax rings to sea.

I would not use the plastic spacers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks