Toilet flange height

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by joewadd, May 18, 2013.

1. joewadd

joewadd New Member

Hello,
    I am installing a new toilet in my shop with cement floor so where should the correct height of the flange be?

My plastic flange is almost a 1/2" thick .450 to be exact so should the bottom of the flange rest on the top of the cement surface?

Someone told me the top of the flange should be level with the floor surface that doesn't seem right.

Thanks for any help.
    Joe
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Bottom of flange on top of finished floor.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

IF you haven't installed the flange yet, please do not use the all plastic one- pick one that has a SS metal ring. You'll want to anchor it with some lead anchors or maybe some Tapcons. The all plastic ones are a problem waiting to happen. Should someone bump the toilet, that small plastic slot will likely crack. And yes, all toilet flanges are designed to sit on TOP of the FINISHED floor, and to be securely fastened. Now, something like a CI flange on CI pipe in a concrete floor should be strong enough without further fastening, but that isn't what you have.
  4. Hammerlane

Hammerlane Member

Usually a debate about this issue. .But I agree bottom of flange on top of finished floor. #1 below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What's to debate? The only proper way is to have the flange on top of the finished floor.
  6. joewadd

joewadd New Member

The only flange I could find at Lowes was the plastic with a 3" slip in area and my pipe is 3" so I had to put a coupler to connect the flange to pipe.

I haven't mounted the flange yet so I can change to a better one, but I did glue the coupler to the 3" pipe. If I need to cut off the coupler I only have 2 1/8 straight left to work with.

The issue I had was finding a flange to adapt to the 3" pipe the current one is the same size as the pipe3".

If I get a flange to go over the 3" pipe you have the lip or edge of the pipe to restrict flow, not that it would, I thought smooth transition was better.
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

When you have to use a 3" flange, it should NOT fit inside the drainpipe. This cuts the diameter of the pipe too much. Suggest you find a better supply house for materials and get the recommended flange.
  8. joewadd

joewadd New Member

I picked up an Oatey brand flange that has a stainless flange that spins on plastic and it will go over the 3" pipe, is this the one to use.
  9. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

There ya go.
  10. how2do

how2do Handy Tom

As far as flow and any restriction to the waste line...that's a misnomer...the maximum diameter of most toilet outlets is 2 inches...some I have seen are 2-1/4" but that all depends on the manufacturer's casting mold. The correct method is to mount the toilet flange on top of the finished floor. Below is a cutaway showing the distance between the toilet and flange...

Set-Rite_Cutaway.jpg
    Last edited: May 19, 2013