Toilet Flange & Floor Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon_C

Reaction score
I just had new tile put in my bathroom. They cut off the old corroded cast iron flange, laid a new piece of plywood over the old, did a new mortar floor, and laid the hex tile. They cut the pipe low so the entry to the cast iron pipe entry sits about 2" below the tile. I planned to use the Oatey 43539 repair flange which reaches the pipe just fine. My problem is the pipe and flange s not concentric to the holes in the plywood. Therefore I don't have a good surface to fasten the new flange to. Should I just screw into the tile and mortar with long screws? Does it make more sense to block in some new plywood from underneath tight to the pipe, break out the tile and mud so I can put in wood spacers, set the flange on that (level with the floor) and screw it all together? Do you have better recommendation altogether?
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG

Reaction score
They cut off the old corroded cast iron flange
Without seeing a pic of how it was before, I'm not sure if that was necessary. Very rusty and ugly is fine if it can still hold toilet bolts in the slots. But too late for that now.

You have full access to do whatever you want from the basement.

Most folks don't have this luxury if they have your situation on a concrete slab.

You have a very solid cast iron pipe calked with lead+oakum in a cast iron hub, plenty of length to play with. I'd certainly try to get a cast-iron flange on there.
deep-body-toilet-flange-2984.jpg

Jon_C

Reaction score
Thanks! I saw this type online. I like that it seals to the OD, but there's something I don't understand about it...I don't have a lot of clearance between the floor and pipe on about 1/2 of the circumference so I can't slide this thing down there. If I break out the tile and mortar floor to create clearance, I'll have very little floor left for this thing to sit on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have access there to add wood from below.
You can put a hole in plywood, cut it in half and then fit it around the pipe. Then the long screws would have something to catch on. That would be one way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks