Toilet flange completely broken off

Users who are viewing this thread

2tone

Reaction score
I am remodeling my bathroom in my 1920's house. The subfloor was rotted underneath the toilet, so I had to replace it with new plywood. when I pulled up the old toilet which was leaking, I found that the closet flange was completely broken off and the toilet bolts were not connected to it. The PO had run the toilet bolts through the bottom of the floor instead of through the (what should have been) actual toilet flange. My question is, what is the best fix for this situation?

Should I have a pro plumber come in and put on a new flange, or is it ok to use one of the PVC "push in" type of flanges from the home improvement store? The pipe itself is cast iron. I'm a little leary about using one of these "push into the pipe" type of replacement flanges, fearing major disaster if the drain line ever backs up.

Also, there is an old drum trap connected to this pipe coming from the sink. If I use the PVC flange is this going to block the drainage of the sink into the pipe?

Thanks for any advice.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This sounds like a good time to get several problems dealt with and get your bathroom drain up to code. Drum traps are illegal now, and your toilet flange and closet bend needs to be properly repaired. I'd say it's time for some professional help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks