Toilet Flange & Clean Out

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by bbellabird, Jul 2, 2005.

1. bbellabird

bbellabird New Member

Let me make sure I understand this, the toilet flange should be above the finished floor? How far above? My flange is plastic and is cracked where the bolts go in, how do I fix this? Where is the clean out located and how do I recognize it? Sorry these are so basic of questions, I'm really a novice at this but very willing to learn. Thanks for your help.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The flange should sit on top of the finished floor and be bolted directly to it so that there is no gap under the flange (it is tight on the floor). Assuming that the floor is level, the flange then should be, too. Often in remodeling, people don't want to raise the flange to fit on top of say newly added tile. Depending on the local inspector, you can physically make a decent connection without raising the flange, but it is better to do it. My unprofessional opinion. If a flange sits too high, you won't be able to get the toilet to sit flat, and your waxring seal will fail quickly if the toilet rocks.
  3. jrogers99

jrogers99 New Member

Flange fix

There is a part you can buy at the hardware store that will fix the broken flange and let you reanchor the bolts. Also, instead of a wax ring, I'd use one of those new waxless rings that has a 3" or so extension on it that will fit right down the closet flange hole...that way you don't have to worry about flange height.