Toilet Flange & Clean Out

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbellabird

Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand this, the toilet flange should be above the finished floor? How far above? My flange is plastic and is cracked where the bolts go in, how do I fix this? Where is the clean out located and how do I recognize it? Sorry these are so basic of questions, I'm really a novice at this but very willing to learn. Thanks for your help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange should sit on top of the finished floor and be bolted directly to it so that there is no gap under the flange (it is tight on the floor). Assuming that the floor is level, the flange then should be, too. Often in remodeling, people don't want to raise the flange to fit on top of say newly added tile. Depending on the local inspector, you can physically make a decent connection without raising the flange, but it is better to do it. My unprofessional opinion. If a flange sits too high, you won't be able to get the toilet to sit flat, and your waxring seal will fail quickly if the toilet rocks.

jrogers99

Reaction score
Flange fix

There is a part you can buy at the hardware store that will fix the broken flange and let you reanchor the bolts. Also, instead of a wax ring, I'd use one of those new waxless rings that has a 3" or so extension on it that will fit right down the closet flange hole...that way you don't have to worry about flange height.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks