Toilet flange - cast iron and broken lead closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

loehrm

Reaction score
Hi,

I could use some advice on how to proceed with a current project i'm working on.
I had a wobbly toilet. When i pulled it off, I found a cast iron flange that is sitting at a pretty steep angle.
Once I scraped off all the wax, i can see lead that is mashed down over the flange as well as a lead pipe going into the hole. The lead pipe has a break along the seam and it looks like someone attempted to fix it before by sticking in a black rubber funnel looking gasket.

I need some help figuring out the right way to fix this. After reading through threads on here it looks like I have a lead closet flange. It also looks like this feeds into a pvc pipe. This is going through a slab foundation.

What is the best way to approach fixing this so I can get a level toilet with no holes in the waste pipe?

1) I know i can bust off the cast iron flange
2) Should I be shooting for removing the lead closet flange?
3) How is the lead closet flange attached to the pvc within.... Is it glued?

Or am I going about this all wrong and there is a better way?

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 614

Reach4

Reaction score
Try this search: Lead Bend "Repair Collar"

loehrm

Reaction score
Thanks!

I saw that thread earlier.

So in looking at it further, the flange is indeed brass. I pried the lead up from around it and the brass flange popped right off.

So now, I've got a lead pipe sticking up. The lead had been peened over the brass and about half of that lead that was peened over had cracked and broken.

Have any of you guys used a lead collar repair kit? How does one go about installing one of those? I assume its not as easy as just sliding that guy in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks