Toilet Flange bolts keep spinning...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jalge2, Jun 29, 2008.

1. jalge2

jalge2 New Member

Hey guys. I've got an old house with old plumbing. I'm getting ready to put a new subfloor on but I'm not raising the toilet flange because I believe it to be either cast iron or ceramic. Probably cast iron. Anyway, I've taken my toilet off in the recent past and when I put it back on, the toilet bolts just spin. I'm not sure if the flange is broken or what, but I can't tighten the bolts down extremely tight because all they do is spin once they get any tension on them. So I'm wondering if any of you have a good tip or trick to try to get them to stay in place while I tighten the toilet back down. Anything would be very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Jason

2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I assume you are using true flange bolts, the kind that have a flat, oblong head. You can use a flat washer and a nut to hold your flange bolts in place an keep them from spinning. There is plenty of room for the nuts under the toilet.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jalge2

jalge2 New Member

Awesome. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.