Toilet fill valve small hose position.

Users who are viewing this thread

pirate

Reaction score
In our, new to us, house, one of the toilets, fill valve, small hose, was clipped so it didn't go down the overflow tube.
I did some testing with flushes, with the tube in and out of the overflow. It flushes the same either way.
Is there any reason to not leave it outside the overflow tube?

I understand it is supposed to help with the flush, but our toilet has been flushing fine for 4 months, with the tube not in the overflow.

The small tube (what is that tube called anyway?) puts an extra 1/2 gallon, into the septic tank, with each flush, it in the overflow tube. Seems like a real water waster.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is the refill tube that refills the bowl after a flush. If the bowl is full without it, then it is not doing you any good. However that would also tend to indicate that your flush is not emptying the bowl very well, and you might get a better flush and use less water with a new toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Until you run the simple test I described to see if the bowl can hold more water, you won't know if the flush would be better or not. But, since you're convinced it works just fine as it is, leave it alone. On most toilets, the bowl will not have the design volume in it after a refill unless that hose is used to refill the bowl. It also helps by running some water down the sides of the toilet, potentially washing away any splatter that may be above the normal water line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks