Toilet drain/vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

TedO

Reaction score
As this is my first post, let me first say that over the years I've found plenty of useful, candid advise on this forum - thanks all.

I need to replace a section of 4'' CI waste stack and lead closet bend in an "older" house, and hope that someone will be able to tell me if I'm on the right track. A sophisticated CAD drawing is attached, but here are the basic questions that I have (doing my level best to use the correct terminology).

1. The project is involves a first floor bathroom. The current vent for the toilet is original and originates in the lead closet bend (see drawing). So, since I'm pretty sure I can't replicated the existing configuration, I'll need to put the vent downstream from the toilet. My plan is to tie into the existing 2'' galvanized steel vent, which seems to be in good condition (again - see drawing). If that's fine, should I use a 4''x2'' sanitary Tee to begin the connection to the vent?

2. If #1(above) is OK, then to do it, I'll need to orient the waste pipe parallel to the plumbing wall in order to connect to the vent. To do that, I think I would need to have two 1/4 bends in the horizontal pipe to the stack (the toilet flange is about 3'' from the stack). I was planning to use 3'' pvc for the toilet drain pipe. Does that all sound OK?

3. There's a 45 degree jog in the stack just behind the first floor toilet (once again - see drawing). It would be easiest to tie into the stack in the section that is 45 degrees to vertical, and I'm guessing that - since it would be closer to the ground - there would be slightly less noise than if I were to connect above the second 1/4 bend. Is there a disadvantage/problem with having a "proflex" connection on other than vertical pipes?

4. Other obvious problems/gottchas? I feel pretty confident in the actual work, if the plan is sound. But if there are many other considerations that I am overlooking, please let me know!

A note on the drawing: we do have other fixtures, other than a toilet. The plumbing to them was omitted to simplify the drawing. the first Floor shower and lav would connect just below the toilet.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Attachments

• plan1.jpg
    plan1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,063

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In your sophisticated CAD drawing :D it looks like you are attempting to vent with a heel 90...

Thats a no go....

DavidTu

Reaction score
yes that is the correct vent. 3"X2". I think Redwood was confused by the order of your drawings...the one on the left is the NEW proposal. The old one used the lo heel in the wrong orientation.

TedO

Reaction score
My fault, really. "After" should be on the right. I figured that out after I was done, but it was too late.

So, just to be clear, with the 2'' pointing up, I can definitely use:

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/611942/611942035694lg.jpg

But what about a sanitary Tee: http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/611942/611942034734lg.jpg (it would easier)

Also, the other question main was about having the two horizontal 45 degree bends in the 3'' pipe so that I can orient it parallel to the wall. Is that an issue for any reason?

Thanks in advance.

DavidTu

Reaction score
You cannot use a sani-tee on its back for venting. They want a fitting designed for vertical to horizontal transition for drainage, in case the pipe backs up they want the thing to drain out cleanly. I think the pros will say ok to 2 x 45's. Note that in your original post you wrote 1/4 bends (90-deg) instead of 1/8 bend.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
"You cannot use a sani-tee on its back for venting." Well, this may be true in some jurisdictions, but it is a common
practice in many parts, possibly the majority, of the U.S. Even in Seattle/King County, which is under the more restrictive Uniform Plumbing Code,
it is permitted in many situations.

Last edited:

TedO

Reaction score
OK - sounds like a "no" on the sanitary Tee. Two 45's would be acceptable, though?

Also still wondering about the two 45 degree bends in the horizontal 3'' pipe. It seems like that might not be ideal, but I can't see another way to do it.

Also - if anything else in the plan looks off, please let me know. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks