Toilet drain size question.

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
Currently, my basement bathroom is stubbed with 3 inch ABS. The floor is concrete, and I will be setting the toilet on some vinyl tile over the concrete. I bought a flange that fits over the 3 inch pipe, but I'm not sure that there is going to be enough clearance from the pipe to the conrete hole to slide the thing on. I also saw a flange that fits inside the 3 inch, but of course this reduces the width. My question is, how much width does a drain realy need? I opened a wax ring package and to me it looked like the opening was about 2 and a half inches so I would assume that is all that is really needed. So, when I try to fit the outside of the pipe flange, and it doesn't work, could I use this inside the pipe flange. I wont have time to mess around wit this until the weekend, so I dont know if it's goign to work right now.

I'm also considering building a false floor and setting the toilet on that, and it would probably be easier for me to hide the copper that i'm installing.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
3" flanges that fit inside the drain pipe should be avoided for the reason you have noted. If the flange won't fit the hole, enlarge the hole. Building a platform floor will forever have the appearance of a non professional installation.

JohnyChevyEG

Reaction score
Website
www.chevalierfamily.com
HAHA!! It's going to fit. The builders left a bunch of paper and tape around the pipe between the concrete. So, looks like this thing is going to be pretty dang easy. I will just need to tear out some sheetrock, and install plumbing, and I'm done. HAHA!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks