toilet drain and vent layout

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jimmie, Mar 15, 2005.

1. jimmie

jimmie New Member

ok...here's the situation...in laying out my new toilet on the second floor i was pressed for space in the ceiling joist area so instead of using a sanitary tee to dump the horizontal 3" from the toilet to the stack, i used a wye with a 45. Then on top ofthe wye i used a street 90 to continue on to the vent. My question is, is this ok. Will it fly (no pun intended) Here's a pic also of what i did..(note all the required distances are proper, i just cant draw on these computer things, so they look farther apart) Any help is appreciated[​IMG]
  2. I'm not a pro plumber, but as long as the maximum distance between the toilet (built-in trap) and the stack/vent is not exceeded for 3", it should work fine, assuming that all is sloped 1/4" per linear foot.
    Call your Building Inspection Department for local code on the max distance between a toilet and the stack/vent for 3".
    Good luck!
    Mike
  3. jimmie

jimmie New Member

well i know the distances are fine...i guess my actual question is about the drain/vent issue. Is this considered being vented before the discharge, and is the vent considered to be taking off below the drain? Im just getting opinions before I call for my rough in. Thanks
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

The problem you might have, depending on the inspector, is that the vent from the street ell is "horizontal" and a strict interpretation of the code will not allow it to be horizontal until it is 6" above the overflow line of the fixture, or more likely 42" above the floor, since that is the usual stated minimum distance before it can go horizontal.