toilet doesn't line up with flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by lperrin, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lperrin

lperrin New Member

Hello,

I'm working on installing a toilet in my basement. Well when they roughed in my toilet drain they were not careful to make sure the bolts would be 12" from the wall. The center of my flange installed with the rough in) is now about 1" offset from the center of my toilet hole. My question is whethe or not this is normal. Does the wax ring take care of the fact that the holes don't line up perfectly?

Thank you.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The toilet needs to be anchored to the flange. If there isn't enough room to set the toilet in the proper position over the flange then you have a couple of choices...get a different toilet or move or change the flange. Offset flanges are not often looked upon as a good choice.

Are you saying you only have 11" or is it 13"? If 13", you don't need a new toilet, but you'll have a little bigger (by 1" gap) than the manufacturer designed, but that will have no performance impact. If it is 11", you have to look carefully at the specs, you might make a 12" one fit, but it very much depends on the brand and model.
  3. lperrin

lperrin New Member

Thanks for the help. The center of my toilet drain is about 9.5" to 10" from the wall. I've already purchased my toilet but it sound like I may have to get one of the 10" model toilets. The existing flange has already been set in place.
  4. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

I would then just go with the 10" ruff like your thinking. I'm sure you would not want to spend the time or $$ to change the flange over to a 12" ruff.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It may look weird, but sometimes you can recess the back of the toilet, but a 10" rough toilet is probably your best choice.