Toilet Disenfectants

Users who are viewing this thread

Skarlat

Reaction score
Are there any toilet disenfectants that can be used in the toilet tanks to sanitize between cleaning? (Like chlorine tablets, etc.) Are they safe for a CEFIONTECT finish?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you put ANYTHING in the tank, go out and buy a new flapper. Also stock up on tank to bolw gaskets and bolt gaskets. You will need them all soon.

Since there is constant turnover of water in the tank, it should not really stagnate. The 2000Flush tablets which are supposed to clean the bowl at each flush (a) don't work and (b) have been shown to destroy a flapper in as little as 28 days.

st743s_chlorine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I tell people not to put these inside of their toilets but they do it anyways and it puts money in my pocket when they do this since chlorine destroys rubber components over time and they are notorious for eating up the washer that seals the flush valve which also loosens it up to the point where it spins loosely which isn't good at all which means it can leak and drain down through the tank to bowl without indication outside of the toilet.

D

dc_homeplumber

Fluidmaster now makes an in-tank bleaching system that sends the chemical down the overflow tube of the flush valve directly into the bowl so that the chemical doesn't come in contact with tank components. I've seen it at The Home Depot for about $15.00. I'm not sure how much the replacement bleach cartridges are.

Plumbob

Reaction score
dc_homeplumber said:
Fluidmaster now makes an in-tank bleaching system that sends the chemical down the overflow tube of the flush valve directly into the bowl so that the chemical doesn't come in contact with tank components. I've seen it at The Home Depot for about $15.00. I'm not sure how much the replacement bleach cartridges are.

I tried one of these and didn't like it. I think its poorly engineered. The system can be purchased with either a blue cartridge or a clear bleach cartridge. Same system, different cartridges. I bought the sytem that came with a blue cartridge, so I could see the results. The system dispenses the chemical directly into the bowl, so it doesn't touch the parts inside the tank.

Results: Well, the chemical is released into the bowl at the start of the flush, and goes directly down the drain! Hardly any is left to sit in the bowl and do the work. Of course you won't notice this with the clear bleach cartridges.

In summary I feel that this product was a complete waste of money. YMMV.

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
Thanks Bob,
I saw that Fluidmaster at our local Home Depot last week and seriously considered buying it. Looks good, but I didn't think about just "when" the soultion would be put into the bowl. Well, too late is TOO LATE... :rolleyes:
Thanks for saving me some $$$$.
Regards, Tom

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would disagree with your analysis on 2 points:

1) Bleach certainly has some disinfectant properties on instant contact. Soaking for some period may be better, but .....

2) After the flush takes place the water in the bowl is refilled by the little tube inside the tank, so actually most of the water that sits in the bowl is water that has been treated through that applicator system.

Plumbob

Reaction score
jimbo said:
I would disagree with your analysis on 2 points:

1) Bleach certainly has some disinfectant properties on instant contact. Soaking for some period may be better, but .....

2) After the flush takes place the water in the bowl is refilled by the little tube inside the tank, so actually most of the water that sits in the bowl is water that has been treated through that applicator system.

To each his own, but I could tell instantly how much chemical was in the bowl working by the color of the water.

The way this thing works is that water accumulated in the cartridge reservoir soaks up the chemical from the solid cartridge over the time between flushes, then when you flush, that treated water is directed to the bowl. Depending on how long your flush is, the chemically treated water directed at the bowl may be diluted or gone by the time the flapper drops. The remaining water hasn't had enough contact with the solid chemical to absorb any of it and that water is what was flowing into the bowl of my toilet after the flapper closed.

Your mileage may vary of course. In fact this device might work better on low-flow toilets. Mine was not.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My experience with on on a low flow toilet was that the refill cycle was not long enough to get enough flow to fill the bowl. Also, from what I have read they are not recommended with CEFIONTECT. (?)

Paul

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I use the deodorizers that hang on the lip of the bowl. My wife calls them "those toilet hangy things". Or course the Totos I have dont have the CEFIONTECT. I doubt I would use anything of the sort if they did without first consulting with Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks