Toilet continues to fill after flush ends

Users who are viewing this thread

Watersprite

Reaction score
Toilet: Toto Ultramax One Piece CST853
The toilet flushes properly and the flapper closes the hole when the water drains out. The flushing sound stops, but water continues to enter the overflow tube (?) for 10 seconds and then stops when the tank is filled to the top of the tube. There is no leakage into the bowl.

What needs replacing?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF it looks like this one

http://www.korky.com/fill-valves/fits-toto-fill-valve

then, a replacement cap should fix it...no tools required, and about 1/4 the cost of replacing the whole valve.

http://www.korky.com/fill-valves-accessories/replacement-cap-assembly-fill-valve

With a bit more wear, the thing won't turn off at all. It sounds like it is taking a higher level now to apply enough pressure to make the seal...a new one will resolve that. The water level should be about 1" from the top of the overflow tube (varies a little by model and brand). I find that mine last about 3-5 years. I think it depends somewhat on your water pressure and the chemicals the water company puts in the water. Lower pressure and pure spring water, it might last a very long time, but not with higher pressure and chemicals. Takes only a couple of minutes to change and the instructions are on the package.

Watersprite

Reaction score
Yes, it's a G-Max, so it does look like the picture in the first link. I will get a replacement cap and see if that does the trick.

I notice I made a mistake in my question -- I should have said that the "tank-filling sound stops" instead of the the "flushing sound". Does that make a difference?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The sound that the korky valve makes varies as the water fills the tank. If it's continuing to rise in the tank after "the refilling sound stops", then it's still refilling. You seem to say that the water stops flowing into the overflow when the tank stops filling, which it should. In short, I'm not sure that anything is wrong...

If you want to post a short video of the last couple of inches of refilling time, we can diagnose better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks