Toilet connection with flood protector ok?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Joerg, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Joerg

Joerg New Member

Hello Folks,

None of the local stores has 16" connector hoses anymore, only 12" and 20". Sometimes they do have 16" but those are versions with a built-in shut-off that somehow detects a catastrophic line break and shuts off the water so your house won't become a swimming pool.

Can those "flood protector" hoses be used on pressure assist toilets or would they cause lots of nuisance shut-downs? How do these protectors work? Some kind of mechanical timer or do they detect pressure drops that are too sudden (and which a pressure-assist tank could cause)?

Regards, Joerg.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Watts FloodSafe water supplies don't work with either Toto or Korky Quietfill valves.
    I haven't tried them with pressure assist toilets.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  3. Joerg

Joerg New Member

Thanks, Terry, then I might as well forget them for the pressure-assist. Interesting that they also don't work with more "normal" valves while being marketed for toilet connections. I wonder how many of these are being returned every day as "not working right".

Doing another toilet right now. The tile guys managed to cause a substantial rigde smack along the middle. Guess I have to precision-cut some oak pieces to lift it a hair over that so that the toilet won't crack if big ol' Leroy plop himself down on it. It'll be more than 1/4" in some areas. Arrgh! :(

Regards, Joerg.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The "Floodsafe" connectors are junk! They are prone to nussance trips and are a PITA to reset. When you think about it thet are actually quite unneeded, this safety valve is protecting a braided stainless steel no-burst hose. LOL

In fact I recently had a customer that had his house flooded because one of these "Floodsafe" connectors broke. Interestingly the connector broke between the 3/8" compression connection that screws on the angle stop valve and the "Floodsafe" Valve. Breaking at this point the valve offered no protection and the "Floodsafe" connector flooded the home.

The connector broke at the arrow
    [​IMG]
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

The fact that they're junk aside, I'll bet they would work fine on a PA toilet. There was no sudden monstrous inflow with the PA I had (Sloan Flushmate) -- just a normal fill rate as for any other toilet. The outflow, of course, was another story :eek:.
  6. jluksic

jluksic New Member

Watts Floodsafe false tripped ~ 1 out of 10 flushes on our AS Cadet 3.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008