Toilet clogged? Please help

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Maranto

Reaction score
So this morning I got up, went to the bathroom and flushed, well the bowl just filled up with water so I shut it off. I go down to find water dripping slowly from around the toilet drain pipe in my master bathroom.

So I pulled the toilet off the flange, and it looked like the ring was not seated correctly. Maybe related to the slight leak, but I wouldn't think that would cause no flush.

Got it all put back together, turned the water on, flushed it twice, everything was good. Put all the tools away, came back up and flushed once more and the bowl just filled to the rim.

I tried plunging before and after I changed the ring. Both times, nothing. I emptied out the bowl this time with a solo cup, and noticed there were a few small air bubbles come out.

Is there a air vent per Toilet? Or just on the main septic drain line? We got a lot of snow over the weekend, thinking maybe the vent is blocked? Or do I just have a clog?

The other toilet in the house works fine. I'm just confused as to why I got 2 good flushes but then right back to nothing/just filling the bowl?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
A clog in a toilet should not cause dripping, it seems to me. Your situation seems to me to be compatible with a clog somewhere below the toilet. If you pull the toilet again, I would direct a garden hose into the flange opening and see if the pipe took much water, and if not, note how soon it was that the water rises. I am not a pro.

Reaction score
I go down to find water dripping slowly from around the toilet drain pipe in my master bathroom.
Wax rings are not designed to be waste pipes, clogs that occur in the drain will result in backflow all the way up to the flange and can distrub a properly installed wax ring.

I'm just confused as to why I got 2 good flushes but then right back to nothing/just filling the bowl?
Because it's a partial block somewhere past the flange, and was draining just very slowly during that length of time you were working on it. When you were done with the repair, there was enough empty pipe volume to take 2 more full flushes.

You're going to have to pull the toilet again and auger it from the flange.

If you don't already own an hand snake to try it, skip that and go straight ahead to buy a hand drum auger.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Do not listen to people who do not know what they are talking about. Unless you have a very unusual stoppage, ( and if you did a plunger should have cleared it), a "hand drum auger" will NOT have any effect on a toilet line stoppage. You need a "BIG" electric drum snake and know how to use it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The small snakes typically have a quite small head on them, and will usually just poke a hole in a clog. Depending on what you are draining, that might work for awhile, but often, it doesn't when a toilet is involved. That's why HJ said you need a snake with a pipe sized head on it, so it can not only cut through the clog, but scour the pipe clean to the walls, rather than poking a hole. Using one of these can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. Breaking bones, tearing off fingers, lacerating bits. It takes some skill and paying attention to what's going on, and a first time user is at severe risk of hurting himself.

Dan Maranto

Reaction score
Went down to get my boots to go to work, heard water dripping, and found a big 8" crack on the main 3" septic line starting inside a coupling and extending out. This was about 20' upstream of the T from the bathroom toilet that I had problems with.

Drilled a hole under the crack and drained Almost 20 gallons of water from there, and cut that piece out. Girlfriends dad brought a snake over, we ran it down that main line and seemed to work a clog loose. There was also a small dip in the line right under the bathroom T, so we adjusted some hangars to get a more steady fall.

So for now everything seems to be running smoothly, thank you guys for your help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks