Toilet Clicking Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

dmarsh89

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house with a bathroom in the guest bedroom. I haven't used this toilet much, but noticed that the water level in the bowl was pretty low and I wanted to increase the amount of water in the bowl for guests that we are having tomorrow. I watched some YouTube videos telling me to turn the head that looks like an X clockwise. Now, whenever it flushes, after the tank fills water and stops running, I can hear a clicking noise for about 30 seconds. I don't believe it ever made this noise before. I figured out that if I push down on the white lever to expel just a tiny bit more water, the clicking stops right away. I uploaded 2 YouTube videos of the clicking noise, and showing how it stops right after more water comes out. Any help on getting the noise to stop would be very appreciated!

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like the bowl refill hose is going too far down the overflow tube. Try raising that tube so that the bottom of the tube is higher than the water level.

If this does not fix it, I would replace the fill valve. And while you replace the fill valve, you normally replace the hose. And while you replace the hose, you would like to replace the shut-off valve with a quarter-turn ball valve if you don't have that already.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I agree you could have a siphon which is pulling water past the valve and causing that clicking. So scoot that refill hose up a bit in the overflow tube. If that doesn't do it, then it's just a worn-out fill valve. (Do you have high water pressure in the house? Do you have a pressure reducing valve near your meter, or anything showing what the water pressure is in the place? Water pressure that is too high can wear out your fill valve faster, and can wear out other things as well.) I personally like the Korky 528MP fill valve, because it is easily adjustable to virtually any standard toilet, and when it wears out, the working/sealing parts are all in a little cap that you can replace for around 3 bucks in like 2 minutes. It's also easy for a homeowner to install. Lots of plumbers like the Fluidmaster 400A. Those are the two big ones. The Korky is easier to install, quieter, and a newer design. And made from top to bottom in Wisconsin, rather than in Mexico, if that matters to you.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_336988-868-528MPK___?Ntt=528mpk&UserSearch=528mpk&productId=3284948

Korky 528s that don't have a silver top may not refill your bowl properly; they are made for other toilets. The MP is the most-universally-adjustable one. There is a very good video on how to install it. Most people can do it very easily themselves. (The graphics in the video are backwards regarding adjusting the refill water; what Jules says is correct. Follow what she says.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks