Toilet bowl draining

Users who are viewing this thread

hutch

Reaction score
This is new construction. toilet was installed in Feb. has worked fine,until yesterday. Now it loses all the water in the bowl after about 20 minutes. No water on the floor, no leaks underneath, water drains into sewer line. you can watch it at the clean out. only one bath and all other drains work fine. I've been in home building all my life and never seen anything like this. Need some help. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two things come to mind: I've read about some toilets that had a plug fail (sometimes used during the build to relieve pressure buildup during the firing process, then sealed) or a small crack developed...if it is placed 'right', it could empty the bowl but not leak out on the floor. The second thing is a back-to-back toilet using the wrong fitting and when one flushes, it jets into the other one, and that can cause sloshing, and lower the water level.

Reach4

Reaction score
This is new construction. toilet was installed in Feb. has worked fine,until yesterday. Now it loses all the water in the bowl after about 20 minutes.
Not just down to the trap level, but all of the water.

Pretty sure you need to replace that toilet. Even if we were imagining some suction on the sewer, which is hard to imagine, that could only take the water level down so far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks