Toilet base configuration for carpet

Users who are viewing this thread

Aquaman2016

Reaction score
I'm replacing a 20 year old toilet with a Toto brand in a carpeted bathroom. What do I need to watch out for as far as the "foot print" of the Toto toilet is matching or slightly bigger then the one I'm replacing? How does a plumber generally deal with such a situation?

Reach4

Reaction score
If that carpet is also 20 years old, do you want to think about replacing/changing that too, while you are at it? Do you cut the carpet out to clear the base?

I think Toto Soiree has a wide base. Not sure on the for/aft dimensions.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms964214cefg.pdf

You are probably going to have to visit showrooms with a tape measure if you are planning to keep that carpet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some older toilet bowls have a quite small base. Often, the TOTO Drake or Ultramax bowl will cover the old footprint.
The Soiree and Guinevere cover even more.
Some of the older one-piece Kohler's went a little wide at the center bolt location.
Make sure when you cut the carpet, have a sharp blade on your knife. It makes it much easier.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the type of carpeting, it may not be the best choice for setting a toilet! Plus, with some of the inevitable splashes, personally, I'd not want a carpet right around the toilet, at least one that could not be removed and washed once in awhile! Many carpets can allow the toilet to move slightly, and that can break the wax seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks