Toilet arm lever is too big to fit

Users who are viewing this thread

hayley3

Reaction score
I needed to replace the bulb so I decided to replace the arm at the same time, just for the learning experience. My problem is the square plastic shank??? of the arm lever does not fit all the way into the hole in the porcelain tank. How can I wittle that down so the handle will fit flush against the tank?

Thanks,
Cheryl, who is learning to be handy

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Unless you have an attraction for that toilet as a collectors item or period piece, you would probably be better to get a new toilet. If your toilet ever needs plunging, the new toilet would probably let you get rid of the plunger. A new toilet will not overflow with one flush, even if there was a total clog. There is not enough water used in a flush.

If you like the toilet for decor use, you could still replace the ballcock with a newer flush valve. That is usually easy. That does not affect the outside appearance.

But to answer your question, if you want to amend the lever arm, I suggest that you post a photo.

hayley3

Reaction score
Thanks hj, that's just what I did!!!! I just bought a Dremel for xmas and woohoo I also bought the accessory kit which came with a plastic cutting wheel/disc and it worked perfectly to trim the plastic so the lever would fit!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks