Toggle switch help[automotive]

Users who are viewing this thread

afbryant

Reaction score
The power seat switch in my car has broken and I have decided to hook it up to a toggle switch for now.There are 4 wires going to the original switch.They are:: red[pos],black[neg],yellow[?],yellow/green stripe[?]
I bought a toggle switch that is ; on/off/on and is temporary which ,of course, means it goes back to OFF when the switch is released.The toggle is not marked by anything other than numbers .1 through 6.Does anyone know how to wire this up or a website to help me.The toggle as I said,has 6 prongs and I need for it to reverse polarity as to go forward and back with this one switch
Thanks in advance

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I need something to repalce a car part that I don't want to or can't buy from a dealer or parts store, I call around to junk yards. Tell them the model of your car and they will tell you if they have one in their yard. You take your tools, collect the part, and pay on the way out.

That will be more satisfactory than trying to cobble something together that probably will never perform the functions of the original switch.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I agree with Bob.

IF you are set on making this switch work you need to find out how the ol switch worked, OR you need a wiring diagram which will tell you. Then you need to know the terminal layout of the DPDT momentary switch you bought.

NO ONE will be able to tell you "Put the black wire to terminal 1, the green wire to terminal 4, etc...."

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A while back, the power window switch for the drivers window stopped working on my Ford Contour. At first, I figured this is just a switch, how hard can it be; but I though better and just sprung the $90 for a new one. I then took apart the old one, and holy sun roof, batman.....it has diodes, cazapitors, and unidentified little black gizmos in there! It is NOT a DIY repairable item!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it probably doesn't apply in this case, more and more cars are starting to use digital controls...the switch doesn't actually apply power - it tells the computer to do it. Unless you know what you're doing, you could wreck a lot more than what's bad now. See if you can dig out a wiring diagram, then you've got a chance.

Igor

Reaction score
It's simple to hook up a forward/off/reverse switch to run a DC motor. See this website and scroll about halfway down the page to the heading "DPDT Center Off." You'll have to determine for yourself if that's how your power seat works or if it's more complicated.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I just don’t understand all this work on windows and seats of a car.

I trade my car for a new one the minute the ash tray gets full that way I ain’t got to worry about no seats or windows.

The wife was a little upset with me today because she asks me to wash the truck. When I came home I was driving a new truck. Ain’t got time to wash no truck!

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
The old style switches are actually 4 switches in one package.

A guess...
red[pos] = power from fuse
black[neg] = ground (check with ohm meter to the chassis)
yellow[?] = Motor wire
yellow/green stripe[?] = motor wire

1. You need a dual pole, dual throw, Center off switch.
2. connect the red and black wires to the center two connections (commons)
3. Connect The two outer corners together and connect to the motor wires.
4. Don't hold the switch on!

The car switches also tend to use a "auto reseting" breaker to turn the motor off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks