Todays worst plumbing repair with a shampoo bottle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
I replaced this T today from a vanity sink to the stack - I removed about 2" of silicone mess from this broken connection and some duct tape and a garbage bag before taking this photo - if you look closely you can see something inside the 2" pipe going into the stack - that my friends is a shampoo bottle with the bottom cut off - they sliced it lengthwise and siliconed it inside the 2" pipe to serve as a coupler - the concept was the shampoo bottle would channel the water across the broken T inside the stack like a waterfall without leaking and the silicone mess and garbage bag would solve the gas issue. There was no evidence of any leaks or sewer gas smell - the only reason I found it was because I removed the sink trap to replace a vanity and investigated a loose drain pipe in the wall. Unbelievable really and really more amazing that it had been working this way for years without leaking. Pathetic really.

this.

worst plumbing repair.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It's amazing what you can find in some of these older houses - where the previous owner did his/her own repairs.

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
Not sure what ur saying

It's hard to explain, I should have taken a photo - but imagine 2 pieces of 2" pipe (it's a broken T in this case) joined by a shampoo bottle as an internal coupler - a plumber would replace the fitting- the hack in this case decided cutting the fitting out and replacing it was to much to handle so they cut the top and bottom of the shampoo bottle off and slit it length wise so they could adjust the diameter on it and rolled the shampoo bottle inside the fitting - so the drain plan was from 2" drain to shampoo bottle coupler to stack...the shampoo bottle was coupling the T to the stack, bridging the broken T - it actually was working. The shampoo bottle was in essence working like a rain gutter bridge inside of the pipe. The funniest thing was it was some sort of fancy shampoo for women's hair, so if it was not an empty bottle, the shampoo probably cost more than the fitting to repair this. It is one of the worst hacks I have ever seen, but it was ironically effective - the guy got lucky on this repair. I found this because I cut the supply and drain lines on a vanity to move them over 10" and to my horror the drain rotated along it's axis in the wall 360 degrees.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks