To vent or not to vent...air conditioners condensate line

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen B

Reaction score
I have just finished chasing and fixing multiple leaks on my upstairs bathtub drain system. Re-did the S trap and drain shoe piping. Replaced the overflow fitting / plate and gasket. Everything now works fine - no leaks.

The old overflow PVC fitting on the outside of the tub had a 3/4" threaded fitting at a 45 degree angle that the attic vent line connected to. The new PVC fitting I installed does not have this provision.

Questions:

1. Do I need to worry about this? The tub drains fine - no gurgling or slow drain.
2. If not, do I cap off the 3/4" line running up to the attic? - or will this be a problem with rain water...?

Thanks for any input

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That "vent line" is the drain from the air conditioners condensate line. IF you have an air conditioner, water will come out of it once it is turned on during humid days. You probably DO want to reconnect it, but it may not be a DIY project.

Stephen B

Reaction score
That "vent line" is the drain from the air conditioners condensate line. IF you have an air conditioner, water will come out of it once it is turned on during humid days. You probably DO want to reconnect it, but it may not be a DIY project.

Ah ha! got it. Thanks for guidance hj!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks