To Sub-panel Or Not To Sub-panel.. (long Circuit Runs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Stan the Man

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for taking my question.. First I will say, while I have done many wiring projects around the house, I am NOT an electrician.. I'm in the middle of putting two rooms in the back of my shop.. One above the other.. The shop is 70ft long,.. the breaker box is at the front, the rooms are in the back.. So I have a run of 60ft to the rooms.. Maybe a total longest circuit length of 90ft.. There will be six can lights and four outlets down stairs,.. three lights and four outlets upstairs.. A mini fridge being the only planned constant on the down stairs circuit.. I already have an empty 3/4 EMT running to the back, and have plenty of space in my main panel.. Should I use a sub-panel, or just run the circuits from the front and do my thing?? looking for suggestions..

Stan

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for joining and posting the forums.

With many new members looking for advice and answers, be reminded that good photos and illustrations always invite an audience that can give faster replies that are less generalized and more suited to your exact needs.

Try to provide at least two photos. Include a closeup of the attention area so we can identify fine details, and include one zoomed out so we can see the rest of the room and things nearby, adjacent areas, floors underneath. Use a black marker to write on blue painter's tape or bright colored Post-It's to mark areas of interest, there is no need to modify your photos with fancy text overlays. Use a low resolution setting, as the website can reject images too large. Take as many photos as you can, choose the best ones that are clear.

Do include diagrams for plumbing and supply line projects. A scan or photo of a hand drawn illustration done quick on paper is usually easier for most to create than trying to make one in a computer app. We don't need architect plans, just something simple to help us understand your idea.

Make sure your location is in your member profile, this tells us where you are so other members here with experience in your area may give you specific recommendations that may apply to your seasonal weather conditions and state code.

Edit the subject title of this post to summarize the exact nature of your issue. "Second story toilet is clogged" will attract more readers than "Help I am in desperate trouble!" which more will ignore, possibly leaving your post unanswered.

While waiting for replies, please make some effort and take the opportunity to search these forums extensively, it is likely that many in the past had your similar issue, and you may find solved solutions quicker than the many days it can sometimes take for you to get answers you want.

As you solve your problem to finish, kindly please follow up on this thread you created and update your progress, so future members with your same problem can see that this may also be used to help and inspire.

Stan the Man

Reaction score
Oh,.. I forgot to say,.. there will be a dedicated circuit,(220v) for a ductless HVAC system..

Reaction score
Should I use a sub-panel
No.
or just run the circuits from the front and do my thing??
Yes.

Unless your home is a multi-building mansion, the distances you cite are VERY SHORT. I've done plenty of HVAC mini-split runs from the main panel to detached garages, guest houses, with lengths much greater.

Aside from the fact that mini-splits use very little current, when you respect the current amps and distance, 100% you can do everything from the main panel.

Your main panel can't see what you are doing. It simply thinks it is in a slightly bigger home now.

Last edited:

Stan the Man

Reaction score
This isn't to scale and the symbols aren't right , but you get the gist.. Yes this is a shop separate from the house.. service was run from the house (with updated socket) and has its own main panel..

shop elec.JPG

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
For only a couple of circuits it is not worth the effort. If you have extra money then maybe upsize the wires to reduce any voltage drop. Not really needed as most things don't care even at 90'.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to consider, is how far do you want to walk in the dark should you trip one of the breakers. 15A, 120vac, 14g wire, 90', the voltage drop is minimal - calculated at about 0.25v. That's without any potential resistance through connections, i.e., a straight, continuous wire.

Reach4

Reaction score
For 3 circuits, I would probably use just the main panel. For 5 or more I would put in the subpanel. I am not a pro.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is not much benefit to installing a subpanel. Size the wiring properly and run your individual circuits.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score

Stan the Man

Reaction score
OK,.. so no sub-panel.. The electrician that wired the shop did everything to code.. used 12ga. in emt for all the quads(120v) and lighting.. He ran the 3/4 emt to the back for my rooms but I didn't know what he was planning.. Now that the rooms are ready to wire, he seems to be too busy to come back.. I'm tired of calling people that don't show up.. I'm moving on..
I want to keep this as neat as possible and avoid using more wire than I need.. Thinking about pulling two circuits of 12ga. to a box in the back corner and branch from there.. one circuit for each room.. There would be four outlets and two LED lights on one, and four outlets and six LEDs on the other.. Not sure what HVAC unit I'm going to use yet.. Questions?? Suggestions??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks