To fix Or not to fix? 2inch well questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

electronicx

Reaction score
I have a 2 inch well with a 1/2 hp jet pump that is used for the outside faucets only. Last year everything worked fine. This year the pump started to short cycle so I would just turn it off when I wasn't using it. This is not a big deal as long as you remember to turn the pump on before you open the spigot outside. Short story is that's too hard to remember for roommates. The pump lost prime and I'm giving up trying to re-prime it just to have to do it again the next time he uses the hose. I have two options, fix whatever is causing it to drain back down the pipe (foot valve is what I'm guessing) or just tap into the city water. Tapping into the city water would definitely be easiest since the city water and the well are about two feet apart. But then I would have to cap the well, correct?
I like having the well so I prefer to fix it. But is it worth it?
The well is under the front steps with a glass block in the steps for access to pulling it up. Then the door in the basement provides easy access to the pump and the top of the well. I understand how it works but where do I start? This is whats at the top http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2P484
Do I start by taking the 3 bolts that hold the assembly together off then start pulling it up. I guess I'm just unsure whats under there and don't want to do something in the wrong order and end up with the pipe falling down to where I cant get it.

Edit---
The more I look at this thing Im not sure I understand how it works. Is there a foot valve on this? Or does It just pressurize the well casing? The one on mine is rusty enough to make me think it could be the cause of pressure loss.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks