to cut or not to cut? the suicide tile floor job

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, OSB has a grain to it as well...that's the reason they call it oriented strand board. A nominal 3/4" Advantech sheet has alternating direction layers (about 20 or so) of the strands, similar in idea to the sheets of ply, and in fact, is stiffer by about 10% than the equivalent thickness structural panel. So, it actually has a 'grain' and stronger direction to it, as does plywood.

One poster on here says, when it's perfect, it's good enough. THen, you bash me for pointing out it is better, and no harder to install, when you install it with the grain the 'proper' way between the joists. I also said that with all of the blocking, it probably wouldn't be noticeable, but it is measurable, if you wanted and had the right equipment.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Many? Where on this site does one go to see how many people have a member blocked?

Cant say where ......I am quoting he himself I believe his exact words.... " since most of these guys have me blocked" ....

I just believed it was true. It makes sense....you can back pedal his posts and find it......or the edit.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
RSCB - you have mention FlexBond before. How do you like it. I have only used it once I think and that was so long ago.

How does it compare to Laticrete 254?

John , I can say it does feel/work a lot like 254. I have used it quite a bit so i feel safe using it on my horrible subfloor job! That and pro lite ..

The wonderboard ive been liking more than durock next gen. But those damn stickers/paper ......cost me time $.!

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Hey RSCB , feels so stupid of me giving you advice ......... when it looks like you know what you are doing .:)

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cant say where ......I am quoting he himself I believe his exact words.... " since most of these guys have me blocked" ....

I just believed it was true. It makes sense....you can back pedal his posts and find it......or the edit.

I think he was referring to some of the guys in this particular thread, not all the forum members on this site. Since only six guys posted in this thread, if you don't have him blocked, he probably doesn't have himself blocked and I don't have him blocked, that makes three max. :cool:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I think he was referring to some of the guys in this particular thread, not all the forum members on this site. Since only six guys posted in this thread, if you don't have him blocked, he probably doesn't have himself blocked and I don't have him blocked, that makes three max. :cool:

nice smirk/smiley face Koa. Thanks for your clarifying this for us all. LOL. good input youve added here.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
nice smirk/smiley face Koa. Thanks for your clarifying this for us all. LOL. good input youve added here.

On other sites it means Cool.

koa-25.jpg

My comment is the same type of input that serves no useful purpose that gets repeated constantly by a few members on this site that feel the need to make derogatory remarks about a fellow member instead of truly ignoring him. (Irony Smily)

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I dislike professional salesmen. I got issues with that.

I dislike the one sided approach to answers on other forums. I give a second opinion here.

For me it's a win win. Sorry you don't like my posts Koa.

While we are chatting - what has Jim ever showed you here. First had experience. Nothing. For ten years he has been selling and promoting Kerdi with not even a hand full of shower builds.

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dislike professional salesmen. I got issues with that.

I dislike the one sided approach to answers on other forums. I give a second opinion here.

For me it's a win win. Sorry you don't like my posts Koa.

While we are chatting - what has Jim ever showed you here. First had experience. Nothing. For ten years he has been selling and promoting Kerdi with not even a hand full of shower builds.

It's obvious you don't care for Jim, but you did agree to the following…

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

You say you have issues with professional salesmen but the fact is you are a professional promoting his company/business here, getting free advertising and including links to your site and even a page asking for money to give info on a fridge repair.

The mods appear to give you quite a bit of latitude concerning your remarks about a fellow member but in my opinion it diminishes those discussions and this site a bit. Again, in my opinion, you're not showing disrespect to Jim so much but instead to the owner(s) of this site and their rules.

It does seem to me that you are not really ignoring someone if you feel the need to preemptively counter what you think that person might say in one of your threads.

I haven't seen any of Jim's work, but really, most people who are somewhat handy, have the desire, take the time to research and plan a project in detail can do pretty decent work. Do you only buy your supplies from the companies you deal with, from salesmen that have a portfolio of high end showers they've installed themselves?

Even for a First World Problem this is awfully minor in the overall scheme of things.:)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Professional implies you get paid for your work...in that vein, on my participation in this site, John is totally wrong, I've never gotten any monetary consideration for any of my posts or recommendations. I have received training, but that is open to almost anyone, should they ask and have a valid reason for it. In an industry, professional also implies 'being' professional, and that includes respect for other opinions, and again, John fails in that. And, John should be aware that all posts at www.johnbridge.com are copyrighted by that site, and his use of them here (other than a link) is illegal and may come back to bite him in the end.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
image.jpg
my friends chose this 1/3 running bond, nice porcelain, hand floated, no lippage system! tough to time out with 2 out of plane 70 yr old floors !!! existing settled door jambs etc!

just wrapping up grout went with TEC 550 power pewter grey.... again, pretty basic............ but that subfloor is tough!!!! cross grain baby!!

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Glad you made it work , RSCB . Nice work ..... without any mechanical tuning devices !

I am sure you have a better picture ..... could you show us on '' from the front '' ? :)

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
just re-installed all the original base, added a 3/16" silicone perimiter joint around this new area that got transitioned with an "S" ! profile edge....letting grout dry 7 days...ill get some finish pics...... thx for the positive vibes Roberto.

progress pic:

IMG_0849.JPG

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Lucky the tile meet the hardwood perfect like that! lol

Nice work RSCB. Your clients seemed like good folks to let you do the job the way you wanted.

I bet you can feel the difference under foot. I get that all the time from other trades when they come to my home. They say "Feels Solid".

I tell them it's double 5/8" plywood not single layer.

You took that and then made it even better! Awesome work. Lucky clients. Killer looking floor.

Did you have trouble keeping the grout out of the tile texture?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Lucky the tile meet the hardwood perfect like that! lol

Nice work RSCB. Your clients seemed like good folks to let you do the job the way you wanted.

I bet you can feel the difference under foot. I get that all the time from other trades when they come to my home. They say "Feels Solid".

I tell them it's double 5/8" plywood not single layer.

You took that and then made it even better! Awesome work. Lucky clients. Killer looking floor.

Did you have trouble keeping the grout out of the tile texture?

Thanks for your input John with the blocking cleat/buildup detail....... my clients can very much feel the difference in deflection/overbuild. regardless the plywood grain on my cleated layer 3/4" that is crossed w 5/8" and 1/4 cbu topped w/ Noble TS i think were OK..... I used Flexbond and Prolite here on this floor.

Tec 550 went in pretty easy, cleaned up well with the reccomended 2 dry sponge wipe downs.. 7 days and it will get a final cleanup.......never used TEC power grout before, works much like permacolor which I intended to use..... But I had yet another out of date code batch of grout that i was scared to install. so I opted for this tec 550.....time will tell.....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Your having a bad run of luck with Date Codes. Someone at Laticrete needs to kick some ass.

You check RSCB - most do not. These checks should be included on the instructions for products. For tile. For waterproofing. For everything.

Did you keep a copy of the date codes on file? I snap a picture of them. Reminds me I checked.

After all that work you did - imagine you used two year old grout and it failed. What would the TCNA Inspector say? Your fault because you mixed materials from different company's? That would be my guess.

Your fault for buying old product? That is a good option as well.

I imagine a generous portion of tile failures are because of out of date product. Hard to tell what that is but by my accounting it appears that at any one time in Vancouver at least 2%-4% of setting materials are past their due dates. The only one's loosing here are the stores who need to dump out old stock or the poor bastard who uses it. And like your finding most stores will not switch out the stock until it's sold.

BUYER BEWARE

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
just re-installed all the original base, added a 3/16" silicone perimiter joint around this new area that got transitioned with an "S" ! profile edge....letting grout dry 7 days...ill get some finish pics...... thx for the positive vibes Roberto.

progress pic:

View attachment 26455

That's a VERY NICE installation , RSCB . You nailed it !!! :)

Eurob

Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
johnfrwhipple said:
Your having a bad run of luck with Date Codes. Someone at Laticrete needs to kick some ass.

You check RSCB - most do not. These checks should be included on the instructions for products. For tile. For waterproofing. For everything.

Did you keep a copy of the date codes on file? I snap a picture of them. Reminds me I checked.

After all that work you did - imagine you used two year old grout and it failed. What would the TCNA Inspector say? Your fault because you mixed materials from different company's? That would be my guess.

Your fault for buying old product? That is a good option as well.

I imagine a generous portion of tile failures are because of out of date product. Hard to tell what that is but by my accounting it appears that at any one time in Vancouver at least 2%-4% of setting materials are past their due dates. The only one's loosing here are the stores who need to dump out old stock or the poor bastard who uses it. And like your finding most stores will not switch out the stock until it's sold.

BUYER BEWARE

Not the first... or the last time , John . I guess few days off could be good to go , but months or years is just unacceptable !!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks