Tired of Mixet shower handles

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by sdcabob, Apr 21, 2006.

1. sdcabob

sdcabob New Member

I'd like to replace 2 showers with Mixet with a different brand. I'm told that these pieces must be replaced with same brand due to match with valve.

True? Or are there other brands to choose from that can fit on these valves too?

Am trying to avoid going through tile and dry wall for repair if possible. Thanks!
  2. they are junk

no, you are screwed....they are a pain

you will have to cut them out from behind

and preferrably install DELTA 1700

pressure balanced faucets....
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valves

Once you access the brass part in the wall, you can install any valve you want to. But I also prefer the Delta 1700 series.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You cannot REPAIR your shower with anything but Mixet parts. Faucet parts are not generic at all......must match brand and model. The best you could to is possibly find a brushed nickel escutcheon. Mixet parts are getting scarce.

If you can get access inside the wall, from the front OR from the backside, then you can install any new shower valve you wish.

[​IMG]

Mixet
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  5. hj

mixet

Jimbo. One company makes a Moen style cartridge for the Mixet which eliminates the crossover problem common with Mixets.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Thanks hj. I jave heard of that anit-crossover cartridge, but have not used it. My point was also that choices of upgrading the "look" are limited to the brand. Does that aftermarket cartridge require still the Mixet handles, or doe it use Moen handles and trim. If the latter is the case, that would open up a few more opportunities as far as handle and trim styles and colors.
  7. hj

mixet

I haven't used any either, but I had many apartment complexes in the early 70's that had serious crossover problems to the point where the apartments at the end of the runs could not get any hot water at all. These would have fixed them. They use the Mixet body, so you have to use Mixet trim.
  8. schneider120@hotmail.com

schneider120@hotmail.com New Member

DID YOU EVER FIND OUT OF YOU CAN USE OTHER NON MIXET TRIM AFTERWARD?

schneider120@hotmail.com
  9. hj

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  10. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Notice the price on the NOMIX. You have to be dedicated to stay with Mixet/