Tips for tricky slip nuts

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiton

Reaction score
Tips for tricky slip nuts

Does anyone have any tricks to tighten slip joints that are barely accessible?
I can not get channel locks or and adjustable in there to tighten the P Trap to trap arm slip nut and it drips.

The back story:
I found a small section of old steel pipe between the walls, this weekend I removed the steel and pulled the bathroom sink it went to in favor for a pedestal since the room is rather small and the pedestal makes the bathroom feel bigger.

One hitch connecting the drain however, the bathroom wall lands directly on top of the main supporting beam that runs in the middle of the house so the plumbing can not go down in between the walls as it does in most cases.
The drain pipe runs along the inside of the bathroom and just "kisses" up against the main beam as it heads to the basement.

This makes the space behind the sink almost nil.

I could cut out the vertical drain, tighten everything up and then slip the vertical back on tighten the trap adapter last, which is what I should have done to begin with, but short of cutting it out, does anyone have a few tricks for tight to reach slip nuts?

much appreciated!

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a strap wrench?

You can also wrap a strap around something, and tighten very close to the thing you are trying to turn with a long-nose vice grip. It's an improvised strap wrench but with the handle situated differently. That may fit the available space.

Kiton

Reaction score
Thank you Reach4,
I never considered a strap wrench, great idea, thank you.
It is hand tight now, but just barely. I bet the strap wrench will give me just the little extra it needs.
What started as a small project became a huge weekend long job :-(
But the new sink looks great.

Kiton

Reaction score
I bought three different tools today, including the strap wrench, none fit back there, it is really tight.
I will check the local plumbing supply house for a stubby, the boxes had nothing but worth having on hand, thanks HJ.

In the end I got it tight by stopping at my local bike repair shop and asking for a scrap tire tube, cut it up and with the rubber from the inner tub, we are in business.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks