Tip on Wrangling Black Poly Coil

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Well, building department says what I have is OK. WHEW!

I had another thread going about "sleeving" my runs and i felt the overall response was not to waste my time. The line is in the trench w/o any sleeving.

I was told I didn't need sand, just rock free. Turns out at that depth around me the dirt is sand like and rock free. I'm back filling over the pipe by shovel, the rest of the trench will get closed up with the heavy machinery.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hmmm...never heard of brass inserts...all I have ever seen and used are stainless...

Stainless would be a very good choice also. Most of the supply houses around here carry brass and plastic. I would never ever EVER use plastic fittings for anything, above or below ground but hey, that would be "plumber" thing, not a DIY thing.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Well, building department says what I have is OK. WHEW!

I had another thread going about "sleeving" my runs and i felt the overall response was not to waste my time. The line is in the trench w/o any sleeving.

I was told I didn't need sand, just rock free. Turns out at that depth around me the dirt is sand like and rock free. I'm back filling over the pipe by shovel, the rest of the trench will get closed up with the heavy machinery.
You're doing fine. PE pipe is meant to be direct buried and has been used that way for many decades, since the 1960s actually, just keep it off sharp rock and them off it.

There is no sense in using brass or more expensive SS fittings; sch 80 PVC is way more than good enough for above ground applications. And don't over heat the pipe to insert the fittings, wait until the pipe has cooled and then don't over tighten the the hose clamps.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You are probably right. The $ 5.00 savings on the plastic fitting should make a huge difference. Although.... with the brass or ss fitting you never have to worry about the threads stripping out, or the fitting crushing, or the fitting breaking or, or , or ,or.......... But hey, 5 bucks is 5 bucks. That's cheap compared to chasing leak for an hour or so :rolleyes:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wait Wait, let me do the reply for ya.

I have never had a leak with a plastic fitting. If the plastic fitting is properly prepared and installed there should never be any problem with them. :D

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
RMelo, all funning aside. Do youself a favor and use quality brass or ss fittings. When I go on a pump call and the lines are piped with plastic fittings the first thing do is change them all. Why? because a lot of years of experiance has shown me that plastic fittings are crap. They leak, They loosen up over time. Yes they are a lot cheaper then metal but we're only talking a few bucks compared to a lot of hassle if the plastic ones crap out. The other aggrivation with plastic threaded fittings is the tendency for them to strip very easy if they are not perfectly inserted. Too much teflon tape on them makes the problem worse.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Yeah I follow directions and don't over tighten things. I also use the right size wrenches and know how much tape to use and don't cross thread fittings.

I also chase metal threads with a galvanized fitting/nipple to true them up before screwing a plastic fitting into them, but that's just me thinking ahead.

Now if you were saying you showed up, before becoming a teacher, and found water leaks at plastic fittings, that would be different but ya didn't so it sounds as if yer just scared of plastic fittings. That's totally understandable but there is nothing to fear but fear itself. And I know that over tightening plastic fittings is the primary cause of leaks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What I have seen and repaired on are a whole lot of systems with suction line leaks at plastic fittings that went away when I changed them to metal ones. If you feel a big need to save a couple bucks then by all means go for it. I find it amazing that you will even consider arguing against a higher quality product but hey, the customer has your number, not mine. 37 years in the field. Three in the classroom.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
nhmaster said:
You Gary, just to set the recored straight. I started teaching 3 years ago. Till then and well still, I have and still do own a plumbing and heating company that employs 13 technicians and 5 in the office. I only semi-retired from field work about 2 years ago.

We have been in business continually since 1952 when my father founded the company. My brother now runs the day to day operations. I can post a picture of the shop if you would like. Maybe you can post a picture of your headquarters, you know the motor home? Must be tough to take that on service calls. :rolleyes:

All the more reason you shouldn't be scared and reasons that you should know better than to spit into the DIYer and plastic fittings wind like old farriers (ya know, horse shoers) did when the model A hit the fields and paths of America and the old guys were scared going so fast would suck the air outa ya?

Learn how to do it right, read instructions and follow them, learn from mistakes and keep an open mind.

No man, service in a motor home! it's 2009 and my Dad didn't set me up in a business, but man it's the age of computers and other high techie things, cell phone pictures and web cams and such, you don't go on service calls! you troubleshoot over the phone and with pictures in emails!! Any of them techs of your brothers computer literate? Spend some of Dad's money and get them into the 21st century. Buy'em all a Blackberry and leran'em to tune in here so I can help them learn.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Fantastic, just like Star Trek, Who knew?, what's next, talking pictures? :rolleyes:

No... you don't go on service calls, most of the rest of us still do.

Yes, my father did set me up in business. He also trained me and spent the money to send me to college, and I am damn thankfull to him for doing so. Is that a problem? Isn't that the kind of things that fathers are supposed to do? If you are implying that I have all that I have because of his help then yes, my father is truley responsible for putting me on the path to sucess. The 37 years I have owned and run the business have gone quite well because of his care. My son and my brothers son also work for me. I suppose it would be better if I made them get a job at McDonalds.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Fantastic, just like Star Trek, Who knew?, what's next, talking pictures? :rolleyes:
Why yes, it's called youtube.

No... you don't go on service calls, most of the rest of us still do.
I used to; til I got smart. Then I got online and 5 years later I started selling things online and shut down the water treatment and then the pump business and that was 7 yrs ago, and here we are, me'n you... you and I. You in schrool with troubled teens and me up at 7800' in the Colorado Rockies in my motor home justagittin'it south. Did I ever tell you I owned and operated 18 wheelers? Yep, 3 Peterbilts and a Freightliner. And you expect me to be scared of plastic fittings...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nobody said anything about being scared of plastic insert fittings. I just said they are crap. Why use crap when you can spend 5 dollars more for something that ain't crap? I just don't get it? why in gods name would you even consider using them? penny wise, pound foolish.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, let's put the plastic fitting worries to rest. I bought the brass ones when I picked up the pipe! The clamps are stainless.

:)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks