Tiny bathroom options

Users who are viewing this thread

spinolio

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the board. I apologize if this has been covered before. I have searched and did not find anything that addressed my specific situation. The bath in the second floor apartment of my house is unusually small. Built in 1930, appears to have not been remodeled since. The space allotted for the toilet is only 38" x 31.5". Rough in dimensions from finished wall is either 12.75" or 15.25"/ The current toilet is a 12" rough in model mounted on the 15.25" wall (bowl towards the sink in the attached drawing). This option leaves very little head room between the john and the tiny 15" x 18" lav (I have the bumps to prove this). I'm thinking of getting a Kohler Rialto and mounting on the 12.75" wall. This option would alleviate the head room problem, but only leave 6" or so between the front of the bowl and the tub. Two other options I'm considering: 1) Installing a flushometer toilet like Crane's model 3195-1.25. - For various reasons it would be easier to open a wall and install a new 1" supply than it would be to open the floor to move the waste line. 2) Install an offset flange toward the 15.25" wall and mount a corner toilet - the trouble here is that the existing flange is 70 years old and I'm not sure I can get it off without breaking the old cast iron pipe. I can't imagine what was installed here previously, though I know it was on the 12.75" rough because the tiled in TP holder is on the wall to the right of that. I'm guessing a high tank with a very short distance from the drain center to the front of the bowl. Whatever it was, I'm sure it's not manufactured any more as I've researched it extensively and come up empty.

Here's a drawing illustrating my dilemma. Anyone have any ideas?

bath2-1.jpg

Thanks!

spinolio

Reaction score
Down to two options

The Crane is out, as I finally got the specs from them. Turns out it's the same distance from the finished wall as the Rialto. No point in opening a wall if I'm not going to gain space. So now I'm looking at either the corner option or the Rialto. One thought I had was to use a 1" offset collar and push it back towards the finished wall. That would give me just about 6" between the front of the bowl and the tub. Trouble is, I'm not sure such a collar is made. The only place I've seen it referenced was on Caroma's site. I've seen "torque-fit" 1" offset flanges, but I'm pretty sure I'd have to try and remove the 70 year old flange thet's on it now in order to use one of those.

Two questions:

1.) Is there such a thing as a 1" offset collar, or flange adapter, that would just bolt/screw into the existing flange, or floor. The current flange already sits about 1/2" below the finished floor so I have a bit of vertical room.

2) Is 6" enough space between the tub and front of the bowl?

Anyone?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
6" would not pass current code requirements, and would be very uncomfortable unless you were a small child. I didn't see a sketch of the current room layout with proposed changes.

Offset flanges are not ideal and are not an add-on, they are a replacement. Ideally, the flange is set on TOP of the FINISHED floor, not recessed below it.

spinolio

Reaction score
I realize it wouldn't pass current code, but my choices are 6" of knee room, or 10" of head room to the lav, with 12.75" inches of shoulder room on the left. This is how it was set up when I bought the house, and currently. Is my drawing not showing up? If not, here's a link to it:http://curtandmandy.com/bath2-1.jpg Not remodeling, just trying to make a bad situation a little better. If I were to remodel, I'd rip out the tub and replace with a shower stall, that's just not in the cards right now.

SamC

Reaction score
Don't know if it would work, but you mentioned a corner toilet. The Eljer Titan Triangle scored really well on the MaP testing. They come in round front, elongated, and ADA.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 4" drain would allow you to move the drain back a bit. Even if you were to just move the bolts closer to the wall.

Caroma toilets are 28.25" long. You wouldn't be able to fit one of those.

If you were to shorten the drain, it would be by opening the ceiling below, or the floor, and replace the arm for the toilet. Most round bowls are 26.5" long, with 3/4" of space behind on a standard 12" rough.

Just to see what you are up against, most codes now call for a 30" space for a toilet, side to side, with 24" in front of the bowl.

I've seen old homes that have allocated 24" side to side for the toilet.
Pretty tight on the shoulders though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks