Time to remove hoses from hosebibs

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Terry, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Looking out my back deck this week. Record low for December 15th, 19 degrees

It's a very cold week in Seattle this week. It's could be setting a record for this date today. If you don't remove the hoses, and they split, you can always call me next Spring and we can replace your split and leaking hosebibs. Mostly you won't notice the problem until you try to water in the Spring.
    In a week like this, days of cold, there will be some pipes that freeze, and you won't really know it until the first day it warms back up.
    That's when we see the most problems. The ice plug turns back into fluid water, and out it sprays.

One Winter I fixed a home that had fourteen freeze breaks. None in the crawl space though. The ground kept those pipes warm enough.

[​IMG]
    Looking out my back deck in the Fall.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

view

Here, the view in the Fall is almost the same as in the Summer, except between the time when the grass goes dormant and the Bermuda has not sprouted yet.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Over the hill where I am, last night it was 3 degrees. :eek: Might have been a bit late to remove the hoses had I waited!:)
  4. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member

If I'd waited until now around here, I would be looking at a sizable issue. I went to drain down the plumbing at our cottage in late October and was already too late -- a frost had taken out a check valve already. Poly lines all full of ice, but not frozen solid. Fingers crossed, no damage, but we'll see in the spring when we turn the pump on.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

This time of year means $$$ in the spring time for plumbers...