Tiling the deck of a Whirlpool tub?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by snert, Dec 20, 2005.

1. snert

snert New Member

I am tiling the deck on a new whirlpool tub. The contractor has already framed in the tub with the tub rim resting on the deck frame. He has informed me that I will need to tile up to rather than under the tub rim. This doesn't seem right to me but he insists he didn't want the tub resting on the tile. My guess is he messed up and doesn't want to go back and fix it correctly. Does anyone know if his way will or will not work?
    Also, what is the best way to create an access panel that will look good and still be functional?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I think it looks better if the tile goes under the rim. You might want to check over at www.johnbridge.com where they specialize in tiling questions. Normally, they also use cbu on the platform - did he allow for that thickness, too?

Note, the tub is not designed to be hung from the rim, it must be firmly supported from the floor.
  3. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

fiberglass or acrylic tub rims shouldn't support any weight. should be a thin space under rim. its a nicer look to tile under but a good tiler can make nice to the rim. tough if it has design shapes along the rim. for an access panel use a return air vent with grills facing down.