Tile to floor on tub surround?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sting88, Jun 6, 2009.

1. sting88

sting88 New Member

Two questions:

1] should I run the tile of my tub surround down the edge of the tub right to the floor? Or just stop at the tub edge? Is there a right/wrong with this?

2] And what about the top... should I go right to the ceiling? I was going to stop about 1 foot from the ceiling, just above the showerhead and leave a 1 foot band that would simply be painted.

Lance
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Most of the time, it works better to tile to the floor, since there will often be a few drips here and there and tile handles it better.

Tiling above the showerhead is a matter of preference. I tiled to the ceiling (and some actually tile the ceiling, too). Not because it is the right thing to do, but because I liked it in my situation. If your ceiling isn't level, it can be a pain. In my case, I was using granite tile, and made my own cove molding from 2" strips, with a back-bevel 45-degree. Since the tile was installed on the diagonal, it easily hides the height differences in my ceiling.
  3. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Have you posted pics of the work you did, Jim¿ If not, lets check it out! Your time to shine... :)

When there are steamers they will tile the whole shower. Top to bottom.