Tile Tip of the Day - tidbits of info to help hone your skills

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Jul 10, 2014.

1. roxanwright

roxanwright New Member

Helpful tips. I am liking the idea of having a bench in the shower. I am guessing it will take a longer time for me to finish showering once I have this.
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

That can go two ways. If you build your bench wrong it will be a moody mess and gross you out. Then I think showering will be shorter.

If however the bench is built for two - then maybe you might get more enjoyment out of your shower sessions. Then you will stay longer.

I'm working on my master ensuite now and will have my benches heated!!!

[​IMG]

Where is this work taking place? What country? What is he building?

This fellow is from Australia. He is building a shower curb and setting the Hebel blocks with thin-set. Wood is not allowed for shower hobs or curbs in Australia.

They are not allowed on my projects either!
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

This wonderful shower show cases an ACO shower drain with tile insert grate. But the real design winner in this shower build is the design of the bench. What element does the bench have that makes it such a winner?

I like the fact that Mark designed the support of the bench to fall back to the back wall. This reduces the thickness of the bench face and does add more foot room in the shower.

The bench is also large enough to lie down on. That by itself is a design winner.

The shower was built by Tarkus Tile - http://www.tarkustile.com
  4. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

This waterproofing membrane is installed. Then below I pull the corner back. WHY?

[​IMG]

What I'm showing in these two pictures is something called a pull check. The pull check allows you to see how you are doing for coverage. The thin set needs to be bonding to the fleece and the wall. The thin-set needs to be even.

You should not see trowel marks or bare spots with no thin-set coverage.

[​IMG]

This photo shows some poorly installed Kerdi membrane. See how the thin-set did not make full coverage with the surface or membrane? This is why a pull check is so important.

[​IMG]

This is a tile process shot. Why did I use the diagonal cuts in the floor? The square thing in the center is the drain for this barrier free shower.

The angle cuts allow me to keep the edges level in the shower and use large format tile to the center drain location.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

Why is the plastic shown in this ACO shower drain instal picture? Is the top ring shown in the right position?

I use the plastic to insure that the Noble Sealant 150 does not stick the top collar to the blue waterproofing membrane. After one day I flip the top so that the weep holes are the right way round and this insures they work perfect.
  6. RedShoecounterbalance

RedShoecounterbalance Active Member

It would appear that you once again are embracing orange.

Making another hybrid shower ,

And adding some extra gravity flow help to the weeep hole sytem w/ ditra drain and noble weep .

Im seeing ardex, noble, laticrete, orange, aco, and how many others? !!! I like
  7. johnfrwhipple

No. I have roughly 60 square feet of this Ditra Drain left to get rid off. I would never use it as they recommend or as an exterior deck building component - to improve on Plumbers Candle Wick. Yes. That job the Ditra Drain can do for me.

I used some Kerdi Fix and Kerdi Band on this build to bridge the glass and metal compounds to the Ardex 8+9 wall treatment.

The shower floor got NobleSeal CIS - the dry zone got NobleSeal TS. I made the mud pack onsite. Fun job. I flew up Sunday Night and just got home now. Lots of planning on this build I did with my client vie email and conference calls. I shipped up the Noble order with the Ardex materials and extra's out of Pacfic Rim. They went up before me.

My client did not want her crew practicing with the products so she paid for me to come up. Charged her $1,600.00 4 x 400. Worked my ass off. Logged a good 35-38 hours while I was there. Got to see Alaska's coast from the Masset Beach one night out for a walk.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  8. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

What does this photo show?

In this photo I'm showing my most current version of weep hole management. I'm using both a Noble Company Positive weep hole protector and some Ditra Drain. This shower passed it flood test.

Drained after the flood test.

And once the mortar bed went in these weep holes where not blocked. This shower is ready for generations of users. Not a month of work or couple years....
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  9. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]
    This is what the cement looked like when I opened the bag. Should I have used this cement to make my dry pack? I needed to make a 4-1 mix for the shower floor. 4 parts sand and 1 part cement.

The cement above is hydrating and clumping together. I sure sign these bags are older and that they where poorly stored.

This cement I would throw out. I would never use product like this in a shower build.
  10. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

Why is it so important to understand this date code if you are using Mapei Setting materials for your shower?

Knowing when a product was made helps you future out how old it is. Ideally your setting materials are newer than three months old. The coding Mapei uses only makes things harder.
    RedShoecounterbalance likes this.
  11. RedShoecounterbalance

image.jpg Great point ( date codes) i consistantly get old stock from vendors.

It cost me a lot of money to drive to return products and shutdown my job

Vendor blames it on the factory reps for not rotating stock Here is a shot from lowes bigbox here today!
    johnfrwhipple likes this.
  12. johnfrwhipple

Nice - those are the new Mapei bags. I like those better with the date printed easily to read.

Those bags are now expired. I wonder what poor bastard is going to use that.....?

Installer Error. But who's? The instructions don't say to check the date code....

Nice catch Counter.

I checked a unit of Grani Rapid liquid the other day. Stuff was five years old.... I thought it had to be a mistake and even double checked by calling Mapei technical. I was told "Don't use the liquid"....
  13. RedShoecounterbalance

Id say the newer laticrete bags that seem to be vaccum packed plastic are best.

The liquid membranes are not fond of hot or cold temp in transport or storage.

Just had 3 pails of coagulated lumpy seperated material recently that was still in date specs. Should of been baby or lite blue in color if ya know what im talkin about!!!!

Lesson learned.

A. Check date code
    B. Open pail and imspect before driving away from vendor!!!
  14. johnfrwhipple

Oouch.

That happened to me with AquaDefence two years ago. Liquids scare me. That's why I quite. Especially during summer or winter months.

Found a 3 gallon pail of Red Guard a client gave me. Never used it. Going to use it as temporary water protection on a large exterior deck build I got on the go right now. Just checked the framing and the owner has build a tank...

As spec'd by me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the efflorescence in the stone work. Less than a year old.

Get to waterproof my second NobleDeck tiled exterior deck (over living space) in about 4 weeks. We are waiting on the dressed timbers for the roof and beam work. Then a second layer of ply - wonder board lite - NobleDeck - Grani-Rapid - tile - grout.

This deck has the added challenge of a radius face edge. Going to be hard to wrap the Noble over the facia board. Thinking about using 1/4 wonder board like I do with my shower corners so I can band an extra strip of NobleDeck across this front.

Owner wants me to flood test the deck for him like I did his shower! - kidding. I want to flood test the deck!

Going to incorporate my newer weep system around the post connections.... MONEY
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  15. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]
    Why would I bring a sheet of drywall with me to this job site? Notice how I placed it so I could reach the left and bottom sides of the picture.

The drywall was so I could work on top of the membrane without applying direct pressure to the install below me. Then I could finish the edges.
  16. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

What is the 2"x4" for? The 2"x4" helps smooth out the NobleSeal CIS. I work three rows at a time (dark blue stripping). Pulling the thin-set towards me. Then I switch to a sponge on the top site.
  17. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

This should be easy. Why the Project Mat? Floor protection. When working in your new bathroom remember that the waterproofing needs protection. The heating wires need protection. The tile needs protection. At every stage this work should be done.

Many tradespeople feel the set up for this kind of work is the home owner or builders. When in doubt do the work yourself.

[​IMG]

This Ram Board I left down in case the cement crew brought nothing with them. As it turns out they had nothing and the Ram Board I placed looked like this everywhere.
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  18. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

Whats going on in this photo? Testing, testing and more testing. The machine is designed for wheelchair abuse on shower drains.

With so many companies coming into the drain market there are plenty of drains that can not handle this weight loading.
  19. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

What is this shower missing? It's nice to see the flood test but ideally this shower would have dam corners where the shower liner meets the wall's framing.

[​IMG]
    Dam corner
  20. johnfrwhipple

Draining a shower flood test - I walked in to find floating bits of wood in my shower flood test. This test was set for three days and was built
    perfect. No leaks. No Capillary action.
    RedShoecounterbalance likes this.