Tile & Shower Failures: A closer look a spot setting tile. Why this is a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Jim, where is the proof as to how TCNA. Has gotten into 70% of americas homes?? Show us how that number is valid please. I don't mean paste the link to it, but rather the details as to how one could prove that number accurate w/o physically checking new installs in actual homes,??? Of which i would guess only half would have been built with permits and inspections?

Its easy to quote tcna jargon out of context to help sell your agenda.

On another note i would agree w/you about germany placing value on skill and ill bet they pay a fair price for it.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
It is probably a mathematical algorithm -- like everything else in nowadays -- , in where the certified tile mechanics is known and the non certified is an assumption , RSCB .

None of my clients -- residential projects -- asked me to provide the certification license and to be part of the '' giving the contract '' decision .... , but I am having it for over 20 years .

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Roberto, the most i am asked for is proof of insurance by sub contractors, homeowners, designers, inspectors etc.

I have ran into only A few architects asking about certification EVER.

I carry my tcna bible with me to quotes and actually overwhelm folks with knowledge, and i cant say it always helps!!!!

Yet i should spend thousands of dollars joining every association? Only to have people in lab coats like jim tell me im qualified ?

Recap.., I pay to have them tell me im good enough and that i can advertise that im good enough by proudly displaying their logo and have a card in my wallet? Yet i have not gotten one project from this partnership im paying for!

Maybe its more valid in large scale and commercial work ,? Jim?

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Selling a job is a skill , doing it is a different one .

Usually , there is a fine line in between how much technical aspects should be discussed .

I would say it doesn't need to be too technical , but a confident approach is a must .

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Maybe they are still testing it , John . LOL

I know how it feels , but ........why penalize yourself , it is one rep, not the entire Mapei's fault ?

I know. But the drain was worth nearly $700.00

I felt like I got screwed. Don't like getting screwed by a manufacture. Not when I can still buy Ardex and Laticrete easily here in Vancouver

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
.....Its easy to quote tcna jargon out of context to help sell your agenda....

Counter Balance the TCNA is scrambling to train guys up. The fact is most installers are hacks. They are hurting the industry. People are choosing not to tile because so many jobs look like shit or fail.

The TCNA promotes the NTCA.... I think this is great for a lot of large jobs like you said but for little jobs. People are not looking into these trade associations like they should.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Counter Balance the TCNA is scrambling to train guys up. The fact is most installers are hacks. They are hurting the industry. People are choosing not to tile because so many jobs look like shit or fail.

The TCNA promotes the NTCA.... I think this is great for a lot of large jobs like you said but for little jobs. People are not looking into these trade associations like they should.

There are plenty of tile horror stories to be found in Vegas. The industry seems to be a bit of a free for all, with the average consumer having no knowledge of a technical accreditation for people working this trade.

I'm in the trades, and had never heard of the TCNA, until I came here.

RCraig

Reaction score
To make sure I understand the issue, since I am about to have my shower/bathtub walls retiled - spot tiling would be putting spots of mortar-stuff on the back of each tile. When someone is using a trowel, do they put the mortar stuff on the back of the tile (presumably spreading it all over) or onto the wall and then press the tile onto the wall?

Thanks, Ruth
A great question to ask your tile pro is "Do you spot set your tile installations or use a trowel?"

Simple question, but one that can shed a lot of light onto the quality of their work. Many pro's use this method of tiling but its a method for speed - not quality.

I'll dig up some nice images of spot setting tile and try and outline all the reasons why you should ban this practice in your shower renovation.

Techarticle8%202.jpg

"Spot bonding is only appropriate when used either for mechanically anchoring stone slabs or in tile applications using an epoxy adhesive for a ventilated wall system." - Source http://www.tileletter.com

Imagine looking at this in your new shower renovation. This picture from Australia and shows how a poorly installed tile can show the moisture through the spot setting thin-set. Always ensure this method is not followed in your shower and bathroom builds. Perhaps outside the shower or large feature walls in a living room this might fly and save some time. But in a wet environment it should never be allowed.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
....without grout you don't have a waterproof/debris-proof installation - OMG WRONG

Ruth - excellent question.

Sometimes I just flat trowel a tile on the back side and keep the thin-set tight to the surface and trowel the walls. The tile gets moved a hair back and forth and beaten with my knuckles or a rubber mallet into position. Always checking every third or fourth tile with a pull check for proper coverage.

Spot setting tile you simple put five big blobs of thin-set on the back of the tile and press it onto the wall - stopping where you want it.

Five Spotting is faster.

Five Spotting uses less material so it's cheaper.

Five Spotting is Quicker.

Five Spotting saves more time.

Five spotting can leave nice places for bugs and silver fish to live inside your walls!

A properly prepared shower wall will see it's tile with 80% coverage in the middle and 100% coverage in the corners and edges. Not possible with spot setting.

The failures shown above are examples of five spot setting tile. Most industry experts do not allow this practice.

I believe John Bridge is familiar with the process - it might even be covered in his book. I would avoid it. But each to his own. John Bridge has been tiling for 40 years, who am I to tell a man of that experience he can not spot set tile.....

Dave Gobis is a respected Tile Guru: He writes this

"Grout has a compressive strength of 2,000-3,000 PSI properly installed. Floor tile can have a lateral compressive strength of 20,000 to 30,000 PSI. That is why the grout usually goes first. Spot bonding creates voids under the tile which while having a high lateral compression strength, only has 300 to 400 PSI resistance to point load. I was on a job last week where they spot bonded a floor and it had a bunch of circular fractures. Don't see that often, must have been some good thin set." - Source

John Bridge is a big shot in this industry - Just ask him: He writes this

"Not that anyone inferred it, but I want to clear the air. I have never advocated spot bonding floors. I back-butter tiles that need more thin-set, but I start with thin-set burned in and raked out.

On walls when using large tiles I almost always spot them up. I've been doing that for a long time and listening to detractors for a long time, and I haven't been convinced that spot bonding walls, even shower walls, is sinful.

I think every tile needs a grout joint, and as Dave G mentioned, grout really does give before the tile does in many cases, so grout really does cushion tiles and help protect them from on another. Secondly, without grout you don't have a waterproof/debris-proof installation. I can't account for the Florida guys; nobody can. "
- Source

I'm sorry the post above is so confusing. I have never thought grout was waterproof. But John does mentioned this above.... So odd. I'm teasing here Ruth. Grout is not waterproof and the post from John Bridge is out to lunch. Surely it was a mistake on his part - yet again a fine example of the men there not correcting the namesake of the tile forum. Jim must have missed this discussion as well. Funny he misses a lot of the obviously wrong posts of CX's and John Bridge's on a regular basis.

Even Dave Gobis is scared to correct John Bridge on his forum. Later in the discussion Dave writes this

"Water gets behind the tile, sometimes fills the lower wall. Weakened thinset looses bond and tile falls off the wall. There are other scenarios as well. Good money for me when they fall apart, been extra good this year so far. I have lots more pictures if you want to see them, floors, walls, with waterproofing, without, skimmed walls, bare walls..... you name and I got it." - Source

And shows this photo:

attachment.php

Now lets look at the two men on the John Bridge forum in question here.

John Bridge is the name sake and is typically giving out info for free. He sells ebooks, books, tile stuff and t-shirts.

Dave Gobis typically is charging people for technical advise and testify in court cases on poor work projects.

Which is the true expert?

Pretty lam ass on Gobis's part to leave the post of John Bridge's un-challenged..... But if you want to play with your friends their you have to respect the old farts....

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
What some John Bridge Tile Forum Members have to say on the subject of spot setting

"....Many good installers (even John Bridge himself I believe) use the spot method. Although I don't typically use it I can't see any real disadvantages in that application. Some guys will say water can get behind there, but realisticall that shouldn't hurt anything and it will get back out the way it came in--through the grout...." - Jason W Source

"...If you dot a shower wall, you can pile up water behind the tiles that is not evident for months. Then your customer complains about water draining out the bottom of the wall onto the shower floor. It can be a lot of water. It can leave a trail alla way to the drain. It can take weeks of non-use to stop flowing. It can be embarrassing." - CX Source

"...I don't get this whole theory of no water behind a wall without spots of thinset and with spots there is. If water is gonna get behind the wall it's gonna get there regardless. In the case of spot method, there would just be much more water. ..." - Ben Source

Three people being as nice as possible. Read between the lines. Spot setting tile is wrong. Just don't tell John Bridge that !

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Another tile failure....

I wonder if the installer "Spot Set" this install......

There is some kind of block on this picture from showing here. Use the link to see the failing fireplace feature wall...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/bath/msg051100517896.051102199691.jpg

Source: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg051100517896.html?10

Nice: I looked up the images on another forum to see if anyone else would Pooh-Pooh on the dot set method or spot set method....

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1344534 - Same Lady

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
attachment.php

This photo featured on my Tile Tip of the Day Discussion. Look at the install process.

This is a great way to;

1). Save Time
2). Save Thin-Set
3). Save Money
4). Make things easier
5). All of the above

The answer of course 5 - all of the above. If you allow this type of work in your shower you will be sorry. Dot setting tile is a poor work practice. Recommend and practiced by hacks around the world.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
More failures from installations that use the dot set or spot set method. When you are looking for an installer one bid might be lower and one higher.

Is it OK if your installer uses the dot set method? I think not.

Click the picture to read the article from November 2013 Tile Letter

An article on Tile Letter calls this "Unacceptable methods and unskilled installation set the stage for future problems"...

Careful of the dot set tile setter. Just because your read online or in an ebook its ok - does not make it a good system for your shower or steam shower. I wonder what kind of backer board that is. Looks like a resin based product. Too black to be Ardex 8+9....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks