Tile Shower Drain Height

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jsnell22001, May 18, 2006.

1. jsnell22001

jsnell22001 New Member

Hi - I'm currently doing a bathroom remodel and have a problem with my shower drain. I'm planning to do a tile shower with a dry pack mud base on the first floor of a concrete slab house. The shower used to be a tub/shower combo in which the drain sits a bit higher. I had to move the drain a foot or so to get it into the middle of the shower. I've cut out the old tub p-trap and chisled out the concrete and now that I've done that it's obvious that the drain height will end up being too high. As it sits now, if I were to put a 90 degree elbow from the drain tail pipe to the adjustable tile shower drain, I'd have to build up the dry pack mud 6 inches or so. Basically, the elbow is at the slap height. When you put the drain on top of that it sits a good 4 - 6 inches above the slab height. Hope that makes sense.

To correct the problem, I thought of 3 options:
    1. Lower the main drain to where it connects to the vent stack. I don't think this will work because the drain that leaves the house and goes to the septic is right where everything connects. Can't really do any lower there.
    2. Can I extend the depth of the p-trap to go lower and therefore start the run up to the drain from a lower point. As long as the drain itself has an angle down to the p-trap AND is higher than the top of the p-trap am I ok or is this going to give poor drainage.
    3. I've looked on the web for a different "low profile" tile shower drain. If someone made a shower drain that would fit right onto the drain tailpipe without a right angle that would lower me down and reduce the height. So far I haven't been able to find such a drain.

Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations. Option 2 sounds like my best bet right now. Thanks in advance!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I don't know if this meets US codes, or if they sell it here, but see the attached file for a horizontal drain from www.wedi.de

Attached Files:

3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Cut the "P" tap off from the horizontal pipe. Extend the pipe to the new drain location and then install a new 2" "P" trap. If the horizontal pipe is not 2" find a place where it is 2" to connect the drain. Everything else you are describing will create a terrible drain, and one which might not be cleanable when it gets obstructed with hair.
  4. jsnell22001

jsnell22001 New Member

I got to looking at things last night and figured out that if I connect the p-trap directly to the drain, this allows me to get the proper height. It essentially eliminates the 90 degree elbow and drops the drain down to the floor. I think this is also what HJ is recommending.

Feeling much better about my drain situation now. Thanks!