Tile or Glass Block First?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by augie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. augie

augie New Member

I'm building out a new shower in our master bath. The shower is 1/4 pie shaped. The curved wall will be half tile and half glass block. Should I set the glass block on the backer board or should I tile out the shower and then set the glass block on top of the tile on the half wall? Also, any gotcha's with glass block on a curve?
    Thanks,
    Augie
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Waterproofing is the biggest hassle. Assuming you want the glass block to be in plane with the knee wall's tile, I'd tile that first. Then set the glass block so it the interior face was even.

There are curved glass block which looks better than setting straight ones because the outside grout/mortar joint would need to be fairly big. WIth a currved block, it would likely be the same or only slightly different.

I suggest you ask this at www.johnbridge.com. They specialize in tile and can help with the shower contruction details. I'd condsider using Kerdi from www.schluter.com for this.