Tile not level around Toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
Are there any tricks to make a toilet not rock when on imperfect tile?? It is not too bad there is just a little rocking. But a little is too much.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A little rock in a toilet is like being just a little preggers. I would be concerned as to why the floor is uneven at that point. Since the rocking almost certainly cause the wax ring seal to be broken and leak, there may be damage to the flooring beneath the tile causing it to swell. If so, that should be repaired and the tiles reset level. Then, no shim is needed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want something that won't rust, compress, or rot to use as a shim.

The best way to do this is first set the toilet down without wax. Shim it so it won't rock at all. Lift it back up, and reinstall with a new wax ring. If it isn't a big gap, I've often found that pennies, dimes, or nickels work, and you don't need a trip to the store. A shim is more universal since it is tapered, there's no trial and error.

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
A little rock in a toilet is like being just a little preggers. I would be concerned as to why the floor is uneven at that point. Since the rocking almost certainly cause the wax ring seal to be broken and leak, there may be damage to the flooring beneath the tile causing it to swell. If so, that should be repaired and the tiles reset level. Then, no shim is needed.

Just a poor tile job by yours truly!

AZoutlaw

Reaction score
I did the shims and it is now solid as a rock. Thank you for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks