Tile Job Gone Wrong?!?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by junky99, Jul 12, 2010.

1. junky99

junky99 New Member

Hi everyone....

What went wrong with this tile/grout job? From the picture, you can see the grout through the edges of the glass tiles. Is it supposed to look like this?

What are my options to fix or does it even need fixing?? Looking for some advice... Thanks.

[​IMG]
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Can't really tell from the picture. Is it that there wasn't complete coverage under the tile with the thinset, and when grouted, it got pushed underneath it? If so, not much you can do except replace. It is critical with glass tile to back butter them with thinset to ensure you have a complete cover, then embed them into the thinset on the wall or floor. Otherwise, you'd usually see the ridges from the trowel, or have a void that the grout could get into. You may get more comments if you post on www.johnbridge.com - that site is devoted to tiling, rather than a general remodeling site like this.
  3. junky99

junky99 New Member

Thanks for the link!