Tight spot for water heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Installed two water heaters last week. Had space problems with both of them. The replacement units were bigger just enough to keep the pipes from lining up with the new heaters. The second one was one inch larger in diameter that the old one. I was able to line up the cold inlet with the new heater, but had to rework the hot side to make my connection.

The first one had more room, but it was in a pan in an upstairs installation, and the heater jammed against the male adapter on the drain pan and prevented me from lining up the pipes for an easy install using repair couplings. Again, I got one pipe to line up, but had to add pipe and fittings to get the other side properly connected.

Not a big deal in either case, but let it be known that if you're working in a tight spot, the replacement may not exactly line up with the house piping. I've had to hack out the sheetrock on one job to cram the replacement into the alcove they left for the w/h.

Second water heater was a Whirlpool from Lowe's. Rare bird for me since mostly I get my water heaters from HD. Couple of things about the whirlpool that don't exactly make life worth living; It's got three legs, and that don't jive with my hand cart. You get one leg on the cart and the water heater rolls from side to side until it rolls off and crushes the customer's shrubbery. I thought all that was over when they went to the new air inlet system. Nope, Whirlpool is still using the milking stool support system, then they give you this ridiculous web belt air filter that you have to drape around the bottom of the heater, which hooks back on itself with an elastic band with a little buckle that has teeth on it which supposed to grip the web belt and stay forever. It's crap.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Whirlpool (made by American Water heaters) is not the only WH with three legs. Actually it's better to have your WH elevated a bit.

When you haul a three legged WH in your dolly, strap it so it doesn't roll away and crush customer's shrubbery. But better yet, carry it in its box to the installation space.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I spent the best part of the day on this on a few months ago The drywall came off
first, then the 2x4 back to back with the closet, then the front corner double wide stud
had to be cut out at an angle to get this one to fit in there.... and it just about broke the line set on the left
also note the main water line for the home along the bottom left.... nice and tight...
I Felt like I was fisting a Cow trying to force that new unit into an already tight spot...

might I suggest you use the SS flex connectors
instead of attempting to get it to line up right..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks