Tight Installation - pls help me choose the right toilet ?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by dmy, May 23, 2014.

1. dmy

dmy New Member

Toilet Experts,

I have a 3/4 bath that has an old Kohler toilet that doesn't flush half the time.
    We're so sick and tired of plunging !

It's a tight fit - the bathroom is 4' 6" wide.

The existing rough in (measured from the wall to the bolts) is 11 1/2 "

The distance from the back of the toilet to the front lip is 26 1/2(top) 25 1/2(bottom)

The shape of the existing toilet is round.

Note: the back of the toilet tank is flush against the wall ! (I know this is bad practice).

I am being told by sales folks that I need to get a 12 inch rough in toilet, but since the
    existing toilet is so flush up against the wall, I'm wondering if I really need a 10 inch rough
    in toilet. I'm told the 10 inch alternative is very rare and that what I need is a 12 inch.

Should I get a drake or a drake II with a 12 inch rough in ? Get this uneasy feeling that
    these models won't fit.

Any advice is greatly appreciated !

Thank you,

Doug
    Reno, Nv
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Few, if any, toilets fill the entire space behind the tank. There is no industry standard, so there may be almost 2" leeway or space between the tank and wall depending on the individual toilet model. It isn't especially desirable for the tank to actually touch the wall, but it isn't wrong either. Use the link above to compare Toto models. A 12" rough in will fit just fine. Choices in models lessens with 10" rough in toilets, there isn't much demand for them, so fewer models are made. This problem worsens if you also want a Comfort Height.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The TOTO Drake model will install at 10-7/8"
    They come in round, elongated and ADA
    CST743
    C7ST44

And performace is very good. :)
  5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Terry recommended this toilet to me a few years ago when I said I had a shorter-than-usual rough-in, about 11", and it fit easily, with a little room to spare. And we love it.

The Original Drake has multiple options -- round and elongated (the elongated is CST744; there's a little typo there).

There are letter-suffixes to the model number that describe characteristics of the toilet, and you have a lot of options with the Original Drake.

You can choose 1.28gpf ("E") or 1.6gpf ("S"). The E works basically as well as the S.

You can choose Sanagloss on some of the bowls ("G").

You can choose an ADA-height bowl ("L" in the 12" rough-in).

And, you can choose the original tank or the "new" optional tank. (You add "N" to the model number to choose the new tank style; it only comes in the 1.28 E version, though.)

So, if you want the basic elongated Drake at 1.28 with Sanagloss and the new tank, it would be model CST744ELN.

You can go to the Toto web site, www.totousa.com to see various versions. Don't be scared by the list prices quoted there; the basic non-sanagloss CST744E in white has a street price just a bit north of $200, much less than you will see for the MSRP on the Toto web site.
  6. dmy

dmy New Member

Thank you. This forum has been a great resource.

Looks like CST743 will work for me. I don't see a version on the toto web site that includes "sanagloss".

anyone know if this is an option for me ?
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The only round bowl TOTO with Sanagloss is the Promenade.
    CST443EG
    CST423SG
  8. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Yeah, most people prefer the elongated these days, so the Original Drake bowl with Sanagloss only comes in elongated. Generally, we recommend the elongated over the round every time, unless there is an architectural reason, like a door that will hit the bowl. The elongated doesn't add much perceived space; you sit in the same place, just have a little more room in front of you...