Tiger Foam Insulation ?

Users who are viewing this thread

KneafseyM

Reaction score
I figure I probably have some voids, it is impossible to tell, but I know the cavities are as full as I could get them. But I know it will be 100% better than what I had before!

KneafseyM

Reaction score
No one in Tulsa Oklahoma would do what I needed. I made a lot of calls as I was intimidated, the guy everyone steered me to wouldn't return my calls. Were you going to come down and do it for $800 or do you know someone here?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Most of the pros in my area won't touch a 2lb pour (under any circumstances), and those willing to do a half-pound pours would be charging quite a bit more than $800 for the equivalent volume of a Tiger-Foam 600 board-foot kit. On the up-side, they take their time and determine the quality of the fill with an infra-red camera as they go, but it's still just a half-pound pour at about R3.5/inch of thickness. In many retrofit situations a dense-pack cellulose job is lower risk less money and higher performance than a low density or incomplete foam pour.

When it can be open-sprayed, different cost, different story. The competence & experience of the installer still counts for a lot though.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Interesting, I thought the US was littered with foam contractors.

Up here foam for buildings is highly regulated compared to down there.

KneafseyM

Reaction score
There are several spray contractors around for new construction, but no one wants to do retro work.

Taking IR temp readings this AM the plaster walls were 1 degree less than center of room, much better than the 10 degree difference prior. Might not have filled every void, but to me that is a major success.

People keep talking about dense pack cellulose, but that will much more invasive in the plaster.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Interesting, I thought the US was littered with foam contractors.

Up here foam for buildings is highly regulated compared to down there.

Depends on where. There must be close to a dozen foam contractors within 100km of me, but none I've dealt with will even do closed-cell pours, and most actively talk you out of low-density pours, but will do it (if reluctantly & overpriced.) They're very competitive when it comes to sprayed foam however.

I have no idea how many foam contractors there are in/around Tulsa- it could be slim pickings.

Regarding dense packing cellulose in plaster walls: If blowing from the interior most can do a decent job of cutting the holes with a hole saw, and can do it with a single ~2" hole per stud bay (bigger than what's needed for a foam pour granted, but not any more work to patch.) The pressure experienced by the wall will be significantly LESS than a foam pour gone wrong. And in the (less-likely) event that a wall buckles or cracks, the repair is MUCH easier than when all the bits are glued together with foam. I suspect the reason the local foam contractors here shy away and up the price of foam pours is that the 1 job in 100 that experiences problem gets real expensive real fast- they'd rather skip the headache and just spray.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks