Tie in Sump Pit to sewage line as safegaurd?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Jerry33, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jerry33

Jerry33 New Member

If one were to install a pipe that lead from the top 1/3 of the sump pit to the sewage clean out pipe, could that adequately perform as a backup in case of a pump failure?

I do know that it is illegal to drain to sewage, just curious if I were to lose my pump and my water powered backup, if this type of setup could perform up to snuff.

Thanks.
    Jerry

Attached Files:

• sump.jpg
      sump.jpg
      File size:
      25.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

In most places, that would be illegal. Also, if you had a clog, you might fill the pit with sewage.
  3. rexles

rexles New Member

It is Illegal, but I would put in a check valve incase of a sewage back up and make sure trap always has water in it to keep out the odor