Thump sound when turning on the water, (kitchen faucet)

Users who are viewing this thread

djryval

Reaction score
I have a brand new delta faucet (kitchen sink) but when you turn on the water, sometimes you get a thump. It doesn't do it every time, just maybe 2 or 3 times a day. I can't seem to duplicate it if I turn it off and on repeatedly. It also seems to happen when you run it on the hot side as opposed to the cold, and usually occurs if I let the faucet sit for a while before turning it back on again. Does anyone know what causes this or if it will lead to problems later on? Should I just a leave it be? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could be from the divertor...may not be a problem other than an annoyance.

djryval

Reaction score
Ok. I wasn't sure if this is "normal" behavior or not, as long as it won't cause any premature problems then I'm fine with it.

djryval

Reaction score
I tried that but it still seems to have the problem here and there. Problem is I can't figure out the pattern to duplicate it so I could show the plumber. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll try it a few more times to see if helps.

xfiveo

Reaction score
Help...I'm having the same problem!!!

I am having the same problem with my kitchen sink faucet. Here are the details:

My home is about 5 years old and the standard/plain kitchen faucet is original. There is no side sprayer. There is an air expansion tank coming off the hot water line just above the water heater.

When we turn on the water handle full blast to the hot water (left) side, a series of fast thumps occurs (resonating down the pipes throughout the house) and the water coming out the faucet pulsates. If we lower the speed of the hot water coming out about 50%, or if we start to turn the water handle towards the cold water side, the thumping stops and the water coming out flows normally.

The problem has grown worse over the past year. It used to occur only after the hottest water was running full blast for several minutes. Now, it happens immediately and even on semi-hot water.

Let me know if you need any other information. Any advice would be much appreciated, as I am a plumbing noob and don't even know what a "diverter" is. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
the divertor does what the word sounds like...when you have a sprayer on a kitchen faucet (or say between the tub and shower), you only want water to go to one place at a time. The divertor is what switches the water to go where you want it. In a kitchen sink sprayer, when you open the sprayer valve, it changes the flow by pressure changes and the divertor moves to block off the spout.

xfiveo

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation on a diverter. So...what could the problem be if I do not have a sprayer (diverter) on my kitchen sink?

Last edited:

p95dc

Reaction score
Thumping Problem - Possible Solution

I had this same problem on the hot water side of our kitchen faucet until recently. It also occurred when the dishwasher was running...even more so. I finally figured out that the supply valve on the hot side under the sink was not fully open. After opening this valve as far as it would go, the problem went away.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
clunk

You have a leaking spray hose. When you turn the water on, the faucet thinks you have the button on the sprayer pushed down and sends the water into the spray hose. It immediately realizes its mistake when it only takes a few drops of water to refill the hose so the diverter reverts to its normal position. But by then you have heard the CLUNK.

flamefix

Reaction score
Do these taps have washers on to seal the faucet off from the water when opening and closing? Sometimes these washers or the jumper are loose and they can cause the same sound you are hearing. If they are a ceramic disk type then they wouldn't be the cause.

My 2cents fwiw

djryval

Reaction score
I never have been able to fix this problem but it's still makes the thump every day when I first turn the water on in the morning and usually once in the evening. If you keep running the water frequently it seems to stop, only when you let the sink sit for a little while such as overnight.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thump

REplace the sprayer head. Overnight it lets some water drain out of the hose and that water has to be replaced when you turn the faucet on for the first time, which causes the thump.

djryval

Reaction score
Ok, I will see about trying that asap. Even if I never use the sprayer do you think that just replacing the head will fix the problem? Thanks!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sprayer

It has nothing to do with whether you use the sprayer or not, however, if you do NOT use it, (or do not care if the water runs from both the sprayer and the spout when you do use it), then remove the diverter and that will also cure the problem.

perri

Reaction score
Thumping sound in kitchen faucet

Installed a new faucet and sprayer 2 weeks ago. Initially concerned because sprayer seemed very weak. After a few days a small leak developed at the sprayer head. Disassembled/reassembled sprayer. Now sprayer works great, leak is gone, but the faucet (hot or cold) makes this continual, awful thumping sound when it is turned on--stops when sprayer is used. Dishwasher does not create the noise. Have cleaned aerator. What to try now?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks