*Thud* sound help please

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm kind of afraid to do this. I don't want to make things worse. But I will try it. Sounds like I should

You're afraid to turn off the little valve at the wall that feeds the little hose or pipe to your toilet? I would have thought that would be one of the first things you would do. It's there to be used. Use it.

By the way, if it is not all the way open or all the way closed, that could be part of your problem. Try closing it all the way, flushing the toilet, and seeing if you still get the thud. Then open it all the way and see if that doesn't solve your problem. It probably won't, but it's worth a try.

Anyway, report back to us whether it thuds with the water off, please. That dramatically narrows our inquiry.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Water hammer typically occurs when you try to stop a moving column of water, not when you start it. Some fill valves are noisier than others. The Korky Quietfill generally lives up to its name, but again, mostly by being quieter during the end of the cycle when it shuts off.

That valve you have looks like a knockoff of a Fluidmaster. If the internal seal is sticking (maybe it got some crud on it during the time the main valve was off...things can get dislodged when it's turned on again and flushes things loose in the pipes), it might make some internal sounds once it frees itself up. I don't know if that style has a replaceable seal. It might be quiet without the water supply being on, since there's no pressure to unjam the internal seal...it could make that sound when you turn the water back on, but because it will come on somewhat more slowly as you open the valve, it may not make any sounds. If you can take that one apart, a new seal or maybe just cleaning it might make it work fine again. Otherwise, I'd just swap the fill valve with a Korky. Something that isn't really very hard to do and may not even require any tools depending on how strong your grip is and how the old one is attached to the tank.

mishelle427

Reaction score
You're afraid to turn off the little valve at the wall that feeds the little hose or pipe to your toilet? I would have thought that would be one of the first things you would do. It's there to be used. Use it.

By the way, if it is not all the way open or all the way closed, that could be part of your problem. Try closing it all the way, flushing the toilet, and seeing if you still get the thud. Then open it all the way and see if that doesn't solve your problem. It probably won't, but it's worth a try.

Anyway, report back to us whether it thuds with the water off, please. That dramatically narrows our inquiry.
Yes. I am concerned because it is hard to turn and I don't want to cause a leak or further issue. I managed to turn it from 10 o'clock to 12 o'clock and no difference. I reached out to a neighborhood plumber. He will take a look next week. Thanks for your input. It's appreciated

mishelle427

Reaction score
Tell me about it. But it's fun to learn about all the things you end up learning about. At least for me.
Yes that's true...as a woman I feel I've learned a lot about many things. Some good. Some not so good. But the house has been in my family since 1969 and it's all paid for. Can't let it go

mishelle427

Reaction score
Water hammer typically occurs when you try to stop a moving column of water, not when you start it. Some fill valves are noisier than others. The Korky Quietfill generally lives up to its name, but again, mostly by being quieter during the end of the cycle when it shuts off.

That valve you have looks like a knockoff of a Fluidmaster. If the internal seal is sticking (maybe it got some crud on it during the time the main valve was off...things can get dislodged when it's turned on again and flushes things loose in the pipes), it might make some internal sounds once it frees itself up. I don't know if that style has a replaceable seal. It might be quiet without the water supply being on, since there's no pressure to unjam the internal seal...it could make that sound when you turn the water back on, but because it will come on somewhat more slowly as you open the valve, it may not make any sounds. If you can take that one apart, a new seal or maybe just cleaning it might make it work fine again. Otherwise, I'd just swap the fill valve with a Korky. Something that isn't really very hard to do and may not even require any tools depending on how strong your grip is and how the old one is attached to the tank.
Thanks for the info. Does the valve look all the way open/on to you? All you said sounds great but Chinese to me. lol I did call a plumber and he will take a look next week. I will post what he finds

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Does the valve look all the way open/on to you? All you said sounds great but Chinese to me. lol I did call a plumber and he will take a look next week. I will post what he finds
While the plumber is there, you would do well to have your stop valve replaced with a quarter-turn ball valve. They are more reliable.
I'm kind of afraid to do this.
I can't see you breaking the valve itself . If you could hold the valve body while turning the knob, that would keep you from putting much stress on that plastic pipe. I can see your concern. Access would make that hard to get two hands in there.

I don't suggest that replacing that valve will cure your problem. I am saying that a new valve would let you do this test more easily, and that the new valve would let you easily shut off the toilet if you wanted to.

Do you know where your main water shutoff is? That is a good thing to know how to operate.

Last edited:

mishelle427

Reaction score
While the plumber is there, you would do well to have your stop valve replaced with a quarter-turn ball valve. They are more reliable.

I can't see you breaking the valve itself . If you could hold the valve body while turning the knob, that would keep you from putting much stress on that plastic pipe. I can see your concern. Access would make that hard to get two hands in there.

I don't suggest that replacing that valve will cure your problem. I am saying that a new valve would let you do this test more easily, and that the new valve would let you easily shut off the toilet if you wanted to.

Do you know where your main water shutoff is? That is a good thing to know how to operate.
I will suggest that to the plumber. Yes I know where the main shut off is. It's right by the meter. I think :)

mishelle427

Reaction score
I just want to say the plumber came out today and fixed the thud. He anchored the pipes. Said they were loose from the tub/shower install. All good so far. Thanks for all of your advice! Much appreciated
IMG_20160517_232425436.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks