*Thud* sound help please

Users who are viewing this thread

mishelle427

Reaction score
Hi

I have read the other posts about a thump sound when toilet flushed but all the answers seem to address the noise happening after a few seconds or after bowl refills etc. My thud happens as you push lever to flush and it's actually louder on the floor below. The bathroom is on the 2nd floor and the thud sound is loud directly under the bathroom which is the kitchen.
This just started happening after I had a new tub/shower combo installed. They had to turn the main water off a few times obviously during this renovation and it started as soon as they were completed. Sadly the plumbing company wants to charge me to come out and take a look saying it is just a coincidence this noise is happening now.
I would appreciate any and all opinions as to what this is and what I can do to stop it. I can live with the noise but I just want to make sure damage isn't being done

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Michelle

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
What kind of flush mechanism do you have? Is it a pressure assist? Could something be hitting the lid when you flush the toilet? Have you taken the tank lid off and flushed the toilet to try and determine what is happening?

Reaction score
the plumbing company wants to charge me to come out and take a look
Want to put some effort in taking pics of the whole bathroom, the toilet, and inside the toilet tank?

If not, call your plumbing company. They can't see your toilet either, and they surely won't let you instagram them photos.

Last edited:

mishelle427

Reaction score
What kind of flush mechanism do you have? Is it a pressure assist? Could something be hitting the lid when you flush the toilet? Have you taken the tank lid off and flushed the toilet to try and determine what is happening?
IMG_20160513_224317320.jpg

mishelle427

Reaction score
Want to put some effort in taking pics of the whole bathroom, the toilet, and inside the toilet tank?

If not, call your plumbing company. They can't see your toilet either, and they surely won't let you instagram them photos.
The plumbers just did the work in the bathroom so they are aware of what the toilet looks like. The noise started the day they completed the work and they wont come back out unless they charge even tho their work could've caused it.

mishelle427

Reaction score
The plumbers just did the work in the bathroom so they are aware of what the toilet looks like. The noise started the day they completed the work and they wont come back out unless they charge even tho their work could've caused it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160513_230149297.jpg
    IMG_20160513_230149297.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 286

mishelle427

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20160513_230140563.jpg
    IMG_20160513_230140563.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 299

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the thud happens at the end of the fill cycle you may need a new fill valve. If the plumber fixed some leaky faucets that might have caused the toilet thud to be more pronounced but it is a separate issue.

Reaction score
The plumbers just did the work in the bathroom so they are aware of what the toilet looks like.
Yes but your same plumbers won't be here on the internet helping you out. You're reaching out to strangers that have no idea what work was done, no idea what your bathroom layout is like, and no idea what is inside your toilet.

#9 can be right. I also see a lot of external pipes that can be loose and prone to hammering. I'd touch them in various spots and see if you can feel the thuds.
they wont come back out unless they charge even tho their work could've caused it.
That may be true, but plumbers like to get paid for time and travel, so you might want to keep that in mind that they are being reasonable.

mishelle427

Reaction score
If the thud happens at the end of the fill cycle you may need a new fill valve. If the plumber fixed some leaky faucets that might have caused the toilet thud to be more pronounced but it is a separate issue.
The thud happens as I flush and is more pronounced in the floor below. Right under bathroom. The plumbers installed a tub/shower combo. I think it has something to do with the main valve being turned on and off. The water pressure seems stronger now

mishelle427

Reaction score
Yes but your same plumbers won't be here on the internet helping you out. You're reaching out to strangers that have no idea what work was done, no idea what your bathroom layout is like, and no idea what is inside your toilet.

#9 can be right. I also see a lot of external pipes that can be loose and prone to hammering. I'd touch them in various spots and see if you can feel the thuds.

That may be true, but plumbers like to get paid for time and travel, so you might want to keep that in mind that they are being reasonable.
Yes. You're right. This is all new to me. Reaching out on a forum to strangers but everyone on here seemed helpful and informative. Good idea to touch pipe to feel thud. Should I try turning toilet valve off and on or turn valve off slightly. I've also read on here to turn main valve off and open all faucets and flush. What are your thoughts?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes in older homes, air chambers were installed in the water pipes. They work line hammer aresters but not as good. Over time they can get water logged or they may have been removed if some plumbing was replaced. It will not hurt anything to shut off the main water supply and go around and open all your faucets to try and drain all the water out of pipes both hot and cold. If you do that, shut off the hot water heater until you turn the water back on and let the air back out. If there are air chambers, air will stay in them. It may or may not help.

Here is an add on hammer arrester for a toilet:
https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/...sion-p569305?gclid=COTwg87a2MwCFdgMgQodRYkDcg

I would replace the fill valve before doing anything else.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a little valve at the wall that feeds water to the toilet tank. I would close that valve (turn off the water). Do a flush. Does the noise you describe happen in that case?

Turn the valve back on, and let us know what you learned.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You have a little valve at the wall that feeds water to the toilet tank. I would close that valve (turn off the water). Do a flush. Does the noise you describe happen in that case?

RIght. If you get the thud with the water turned OFF at the wall, it's probably not water hammer and not anything to do with your water pipes, but rather something with the toilet or drain. If you don't get the thud with the water off at the wall, then that means something else. As Reach says, let us know that.

Turning the water on and off at the main is a standard procedure. Most likely, it has happened before and probably not in and of itself the cause of your problem. But let us know the answers to the questions.

mishelle427

Reaction score
Keep reproducing the thud sound with your toilet as you have your hands and bare feet touch as many things as you can. The pipes. The base of the toilet. The toilet tank. Wall. Floor. Anything. The longer you diagnose, the closer you will get to it.
Good suggestions. Thank you. I felt the pipes that are by the toilet and I can feel the vibration in them but not sure if that's normal function.

mishelle427

Reaction score
Sometimes in older homes, air chambers were installed in the water pipes. They work line hammer aresters but not as good. Over time they can get water logged or they may have been removed if some plumbing was replaced. It will not hurt anything to shut off the main water supply and go around and open all your faucets to try and drain all the water out of pipes both hot and cold. If you do that, shut off the hot water heater until you turn the water back on and let the air back out. If there are air chambers, air will stay in them. It may or may not help.

Here is an add on hammer arrester for a toilet:
https://hdsupplysolutions.com/shop/...sion-p569305?gclid=COTwg87a2MwCFdgMgQodRYkDcg

I would replace the fill valve before doing anything else.
Thank you for the info and advice

mishelle427

Reaction score

I'm kind of afraid to do this. I don't want to make things worse. But I will try it. Sounds like I should

mishelle427

Reaction score
RIght. If you get the thud with the water turned OFF at the wall, it's probably not water hammer and not anything to do with your water pipes, but rather something with the toilet or drain. If you don't get the thud with the water off at the wall, then that means something else. As Reach says, let us know that.

Turning the water on and off at the main is a standard procedure. Most likely, it has happened before and probably not in and of itself the cause of your problem. But let us know the answers to the questions.
That makes sense too. The main probably has been turned off and this hasn't happened. I've had so many things done in the last 2 years. Sump pump, basement waterproofed, electric upgraded, new windows, new furnace, central air installed and now new bath/shower installed. Always something when you own an old house!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks